Cotyledon tomentosa cuttings

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
velita

Cotyledon tomentosa cuttings

Post by velita »

Hello people.
I have a Cotyledon plant that has many sets of leaves and I'd like to create a new plant as a present. But I'm not sure how to do it. Should I cut one stem with scissors / knife? Break it using my hands? Just a leaf?
The leaves that fell from the plant due to others crushing them never rooted. I put a lot of those leaves on perlite but even after weeks nothing happened, the leaves dried and curled until they became almost white (I'm guessing because of the fur?).

Any idea? I'm trying to do the same with my K. tomentosa with leaves that fell from the plant, those leaves produced roots quickly but also they dettached from the leaf quickly too. So I'm in the dark. :?

PS:. Also, what kind of C. tomentosa is my plant? A friend has one with fat plump leaves and red "fingernails", mine is completely green and thin.
I'm attaching a pic, I'm sorry it's bad quality. I haven't had the chance to take one with my camera yet.
Thanks a lot :)
c_tomentosa.jpg
c_tomentosa.jpg (30.43 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
greenknight

Re: Cotyledon tomentosa cuttings

Post by greenknight »

Looks like your plant needs more light, that's why it's thin and lacks color.

Stem cuttings will get you a good-sized start much faster than leaf cuttings, and this plant could use pruning anyway. Cut with a sharp knife - plants that have stems that will snap cleanly can have cuttings taken by breaking off pieces, but I doubt that would work with this.
Spence :mrgreen: