Dip or not the leaf cuttings - which is the best method?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Kratus

Dip or not the leaf cuttings - which is the best method?

Post by Kratus »

Hi!

I made some research on the internet about propagating succulents, and I have a doubt. I noticed that some people dip the leafs in the soil while others just put de leaf above the soil, without dipping it.

Which is the best method, and why?

Thanks!
majcka

Re: Dip or not the leaf cuttings - which is the best method?

Post by majcka »

I have doubts myself but looking logicaly not diping it would be a natural method, would it?

Noone dips a Graptopetalum leaf in the nature, so it would be more natural to only put it on the soil.

Out of my experience it would be something like that:

No leaf I diped into the soil made it. On the other hand some leafs fell of the plant and just stayed there (I didn't seem to bother picking them up) and little new plants grow out of them.

To dip or not to dip....well you'll have to try yourself and find out what works for you. :-k
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

From my random testing I find that dipping into soil usually works if the soil is mineral, or if the cutting already has some existing roots. Even with that said, I've had more success not dipping than dipping.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Kratus

Post by Kratus »

Thank you. I'll let the leafs just above the soil, without dipping.
M.B

Post by M.B »

Above soil for Schlumbergera. The leaves are too thin for in soil propagating.
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

I must say that I have good success with putting the leaves in the soil,albeit deep. 99% rooted that way. I keep the soil very moist and today I checked my leaves to see if they got roots after I stuck them in the dirt 2 weeks ago and yes, they grew roots! So, it does work! However, I have never tried the other method, just putting them on the soil. I might try that with a new leaf just to see if it works for me!:-)
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

I have also had better results just leaving the leaves over the soil, I recentrly tried with some echeveria leaves and with both methods, I'm still waiting for them to root.
Bruno
leland

Post by leland »

I`ve had luck both ways, but with much more loss due to rot by planting vertically. letting the cuttings heal in the shade for a week or so might head off some of the rot. It might be a species-specific thing, so you would have to experiment.

It is actually interesting to watch the process if you lay the leaf cuttings on the soil service. Small roots sprout and then angle down into the soil. With time, the new plant grows upward and the original leaf disappears. You start out thinking that you will end up with a lopsided plant, but when the process is done you have a normal vertical plant.