Jade leaf cutting

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
JamesEG

Jade leaf cutting

Post by JamesEG »

A few months ago I took seven branch cuttings and four leaf cuttings from my Mum's Jade plant as I wanted to have my own and my Mum wanted to try and get her plant to produce more branches and get a bit more 'bushy'.

Anyway all of the branch cuttings are doing very well and all have good root systems, I grew three in water until they had good roots and then transplanted them into their own pots with soil. I grew the other four in soil from the start, partly because I was interested in what would produce the better results, both methods ended up working great :)

To my real question, out of the four leaf cuttings that I got only one didn't shrivel up and go black within the first few weeks, the one I have now has been going for around 2-3 months (I really should have marked a date of when I took the cutting ](*,) ), it has a decent root system (for a leaf) and it has now finally started producing a shoot. I have a couple of questions about it, would now be a good time to start regular watering the same as a normal jade? Before I was just adding a small amounts of water to moisten the soil when it got really dry as the leaf was in the same pot as the branches which rooted much faster, I have now transplanted it into it's own pot.

Here are a couple of photos of the cutting to give you an idea of how it is doing. Any advice that you think I should know about this is also very welcome.
IMG_0176.JPG
IMG_0176.JPG (99.28 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
And a macro shot, the first leaves are just beginning to form.
IMG_0175.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG (123.75 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
hoteidoc

Re: Jade leaf cutting

Post by hoteidoc »

Seems @ right, James. Anytime I knock a leaf off, I stick it in dirt after 2 - 3 day of drying/callousing. My experience with that technique, is most don't make it. Seems to be a numbers games. Branches generally will root. Had 1 plant that got wrecked overnight by cat chasing noisy blowfly. Stuck all the branches in soil & by Sept., all were off & running!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
JamesEG

Post by JamesEG »

Thanks very much for your help hoteidoc :)
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

hoteidoc wrote:Seems @ right, James. Anytime I knock a leaf off, I stick it in dirt after 2 - 3 day of drying/callousing. My experience with that technique, is most don't make it. Seems to be a numbers games.
i just lay the leaves on soil, and when it makes roots, i put the roots under the ground, and that technique works great for me(have 9 out of 10 forming new plants, 1 hasn't made it because it was in full sun, with a tempetature around 50 degrees celsius when sun was shining)
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
majcka

Post by majcka »

snarfie wrote:
hoteidoc wrote:Seems @ right, James. Anytime I knock a leaf off, I stick it in dirt after 2 - 3 day of drying/callousing. My experience with that technique, is most don't make it. Seems to be a numbers games.
i just lay the leaves on soil, and when it makes roots, i put the roots under the ground, and that technique works great for me(have 9 out of 10 forming new plants, 1 hasn't made it because it was in full sun, with a tempetature around 50 degrees celsius when sun was shining)
I find this technique more reliable too.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

JamesEG

Post by JamesEG »

Thanks again, I will try that next time! With the four leaves I had I left them out for 2-3 days and then put them halfway into soil, maybe I should have left them to callous over for longer.