Euphorbia Ingens and Cereus Peruvianus Monstrosus

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
obligo

Euphorbia Ingens and Cereus Peruvianus Monstrosus

Post by obligo »

Hello Again!
i would like to ask about rooting my cuts from euphorbia ingens and cereus peruvianus monstrosus (right?)
how many days should i leave the cuttings before i pot? should i use rooting powder? sun or not? water now or after 10 days? any help and directions very welcomed! thanks!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Cacti are the most beautiful strangers
Peterthecactusguy

Re: Euphorbia Ingens and Cereus Peruvianus Monstrosus

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

for the cactus I would wait a two weeks or more until they are calloused. BTW Keep them out of the sun while they are drying AND no water. I would just leave them in the pots you have them in a shady spot. Let the cuts dry. I don't know as much about Euphorbia, but I know cuttings work for them too. You can use rooting hormones if you want, but I have done many cuttings without it. Once the cuts are calloused you can place them in suitable soil and then lightly water them once a week or so. Keep in mind that a cactus without roots sitting in water will lead to rot quickly. So be VERY conservative with the watering at first. Once you know the plant has roots then you can water normally when the pot dries out completely.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
obligo

Post by obligo »

Thank you! That's exactly what i m going to do!
Peterthecactusguy

no problem. I just wanna make sure you don't make one of my mistakes that was easy to make, giving it too much water before it's rooted. :)
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:no problem. I just wanna make sure you don't make one of my mistakes that was easy to make, giving it too much water before it's rooted. :)
I haven't had the chance to root an Euphorbia yet, but I find what works for my cuttings is water. Could be what the cutting is; I'll be rooting some euphorbias soon and I'll see what happens. I do root a lot of my cuttings in plain pea gravel. :)
obligo

Post by obligo »

Thank you all!
Peterthecactusguy

I dont have much experience with Euphorbias. So I have no idea how to root them, Now I know ;)
obligo

Post by obligo »

Potted! Now the only thing I wonder is how I do the watering part. Should I water with a spray bottle for better? If yes how? Just moisture or enough sprays until water reaches callous?
If not spray how much water?
I transferred the cuts to Greece with so much care and risk I do not want to lose them :(
obligo

Post by obligo »

Well here I am again a bit disappointed :(
While cereus has already new roots euphorbias ingens have no signs of new roots yet. I cut them late April. I don't think is normal. Any thoughts?
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

euphorbia's can be pretty annoying: had 3 cuttings of euphorbia trigona rubra (cut in winter), first they did 7 months nothing, and at once, they are growing roots now, so i think it's a combination of light and heat
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Had same experience as Snarfie -- can definitely take awhile & I don't know the "magic" combo. Don't plan on rooting Euphorbia again -- too many CH cacti to play with!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Subverted

Post by Subverted »

Euphorbias benefit greatly from lots of warmth when attempting to root them. During the summer here in Southern California I sometimes manage to root Euphorbia cuts in 2 weeks or less.
obligo

Post by obligo »

Here we have 38C during day. Should I add some sun?? I have them in the shade, always.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

my euphorbia's like heat (on a black underground, with full sun from 11-8 or something like that) and are growing like crazy. 45 degrees celsius or higher is normal for them when the sun is shining. i have them outside without any protection. the only thing you must watch out for is that hey don't burn in full sun, so let them get more light/sun every week. here my cuttings of e. trigona f. rubra, are growing, and cuttings i made on 20 june have already rooted.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
obligo

Post by obligo »

Looks like E.ingens is a difficult guy. Have them until April and still nothing!