Pereskiopsis spathulata cuttings

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
sluefoot

Pereskiopsis spathulata cuttings

Post by sluefoot »

Hello,

I can buy P. spathulata on eBay, as cuttings, between 2 and 3 inches long. After traveling halfway across the country, will they still root,grow,and increase?

I would think that such small pieces would have little energy left. I do not want to use them as graft stock directly, but will wait until I have enough to experiment with, if they live.

Thanks for any help,
John
Tony

Post by Tony »

If they were growing well before cutting and they are sent right after being cut, then they should root easily regardless of the size.
The only time I have had problems rooting them is when they are desicated to begin with and its to cold for them to grow.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
sluefoot

Post by sluefoot »

Thank you Tony,

The seller assured me that the cuttings would meet your specifications. Soon, I will be a grafting fool.

John
cactusBG

Post by cactusBG »

Hello everybody here,

I have 5 Pereskiopsis now and all of them I put in wet sand+zeolite.After 2 weeks of very high humidity and under the lamps for 14 hours per day I have 5 new come out of them cuttings as you see on the picture.All of the Pereskiopsis have roots now too.
I put them in a small aquarium with high humidity and temperature about 25C.I have read somewhere that they like high presence of nitrogen.Do I have to put any kind of fertilizer?
I want to start to reproduce my Pereskiopsis and I wanted to ask -do I have to cut the new born cutting from half or from the base from where it grow and to put them again in sand for more cutting producing?
How long they have to be, to make possible to cut them and to put them again in the sand for new rooting.Is it good to put the new cuttings in rich soil or just to put them in the wet sand again?
I really appreciate your help and I want to thank you in advance!!

Beginner in the cactus hobby
djpotential

Post by djpotential »

I wouldnt buy your peres from that ebay source. I bought some from him a few weeks ago and the were less than 2 inches tall and wilted. Buy from Bob Smoley in florida. I got 20 6inch cuttings for 20bucks..
sluefoot

Post by sluefoot »

Hello,

My cuttings arrived today. Only ordered three, but none are even 2 inches tall. At least, they did not appear to be wilted.

Since I only play at these things, I will see if I can root and grow them. If they fail me, will order from Bob Smoley.

Thank you,
John