Potted cacti un full sun

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
J-M

Potted cacti un full sun

Post by J-M »

Hello, So we just moved from a small apartment where my cactus were overcrowded on the only two sunny windowsills to our new house with a lot of S and SE exposed windowsills where there is room for a few more dozens cacti !

I am already planning things for next summer, I want to put 5-6 of my most ‘’sun hardy’’ cacti outside on a modest (for now anyway) rock garden. The spot I chose gets full sun for at least 8 hours/day. I will cover them with a 40 % shade cloth for the first weeks. Have in mind that I live in Quebec city, Canada at about 47° of latitude. So the worst summer sun is strong, but not even close to what you can have in the south. Also there is a lot of rain in the summer.

I have read on this site that leaving potted cacti in full sun may end in the roots overheating.

My question is: If I dig holes large enough to fit the pots in the ground should that prevent the roots from heating to the point of dying.
When it is time to water them I could just take the pots out and let them dry a little before putting them back in the ground. It would also help to be able to just bring the pots inside when they forecast 2-3 rainy days.

Thank you
greenknight

Re: Potted cacti un full sun

Post by greenknight »

Sinking the pots in the ground will definitely do the trick. An easier way is to set the pots inside larger pots, ones big enough so there's air space between the two.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

When putting out my cacti I wrap pots with folio or deep those into wooden containers, that helps. Also think about shading the plants during first sunny days out.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
J-M

Post by J-M »

Yeah ok for next year I will simply put the pots in the ground. I will try greenknight trick too.

I have a 40 % shade cloth that I plan to use for the first few weeks.

Thanks !