Outdoor Bed Planning

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
CactusHoosier

Outdoor Bed Planning

Post by CactusHoosier »

OK, admittedly Indiana (zone 6) is not the best place in the country to grow cacti year-long outdoors. It is especially bad where I live which is in the middle of the woods. But I have decided that at the front of my property there is a large area that receives sun most of the day, and it is there I will concentrate my efforts. I want to start out with a small raised bed and add on to it as time allows, something like 4' X 4' X 18". I could partition this into 1' sections, 2' sections or any combination. The question is what can I get away with if I want to grow a Cylindopuntia Imbricata in a raised bed. How much room do I need to allow it to grow decently? At the very bottom of the bed (18" from the surface) is the original ground soil that maybe it could use as it grows.http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/posting ... =post&f=20#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OK. Let me try this a different way. If I provide, say, two square feet of soil for the Imbricata, would that allow for enough room for the cactus to grow to a large size (2 feet or more)?