Anyone else zone 3?

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
kikithor

Anyone else zone 3?

Post by kikithor »

I'm wondering what I can plant this summer. My parents always had some sort of prickly pear in our yard when I was a kid that was never bothered by the -30C winters. But I hope that's not my only option either.
cortez753

Re: Anyone else zone 3?

Post by cortez753 »

These would be the most reliable:

Echinocereus varidiflorus
Escobaria missouriensis
Escobaria vivipara
Pediocatus simpsonii

With some protection these should survive:

Echinocereus fendleri
Echinocereus mohavensis
Echinocereus xlloydii
Escobaria sneedii
Maihueniopsis darwinii
kikithor

Post by kikithor »

Now finding them is a real challenge =S
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

There are (just a few) native succulent species growing in Canada, if I am not mistaken. Some Opuntias and Pediocactus, I think?
kikithor

Post by kikithor »

Some kind of opuntia is what my dad has so I might steal from him. Keeping my eye out for the pediocactus!
7george

Post by 7george »

We are in zone 4 already, for sure, taking in account climate change and city & yard micro-climate.

I would add to the possible list Opuntia humifusa, Opuntia aurea, O. fragilis, Echinocereus reichenbachii, Pediocactus nigrispinus, Pediocactus knowltonii, lots of stonecrop (Sedum) species, Sempervivum, etc. In many cases hardiness will depend on the clone you will find, plant origin (been kept indoors before that) or other factors.
some sort of prickly pear in our yard = O. polyacantha, of corse.

Intermountain Cactus
This website declares shipping cold hardy plants to Canada, but I haven't tried it.

Days started to grow - summer is coming. :sunny:
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
cortez753

Post by cortez753 »

7george wrote:We are in zone 4 already, for sure, taking in account climate change and city & yard micro-climate.
Wow we dropped to zone 4 the past few years over here. Anything none native or zone 4 is dead.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Echinocereus triglochidiatus has lots of hardy clones / varieties (not just "mohavensis" already listed), as does the related E. coccineus.

There are some south American options to consider too:
Maihuenia poeppigii is often regarded as the hardiest cactus for UK gardens without any rain shelter (wet and cold resistant).
Soehrensias (now often lumped in with Echinopsis or Lobivia) are often regarded as the hardiest larger growing barrel cacti in the UK, again because of their wet and cold resistance.
Of course, in a dryer but colder climate, other species (e.g. Pediocactus) may do better.
The UK winter has lots of rain, some sustained periods below freezing and lots of wet freeze-thaw cycles during the winter which are more challenging for many cacti than dry cold.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
7george

Post by 7george »

Well, the climate change might have different impact in different regions. By definition, zone 3 areas should have winter minimums between -34 and -40°С. Last 10 years in Calgary limits minimums were ~ -33 and even -26°С, the very last winter.

Spring cold spells (that is a climate feature) can kill plants that spent the winter before with no problems. And many outdoor plants die for many other reasons.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
cortez753

Post by cortez753 »

I was being literal many non native plants are dead around here because of the recent drop of temperature. Mainly during fall and spring but mid winter temps have been the lowest seen in some 30 years. Landscapers are raking in the cash replacing all the dead plants. Also replacing them with hardier ones. Prior to that we had a 7 year warm period and a drought. People were actually growing palm trees in the ground warming them with Christmas lights LOl!

I would consider Maihuenia poeppigi good to about -10F as many growers around here have to protect them when temps go below 0F including Denver Botanic Gardens. Even at 10F to 0F the tips begin to fry.
Yes E. coccineus may survive zone 3 with some protection.

E. triglochidiatus, E. fendleri, E. reichenbachii, varieties may survive zone 4 but would need protection.

But honesty you can grow anything if you protect it. I know a guy that has a banana tree on wheels on sunny winter days it stands out!
7george

Post by 7george »

That's why I prefer native plants and those coming from zone 3 for outdoor planting and most are within a meter of the house. And always have something new in mind to try for vacant spaces.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

7george wrote:We are in zone 4 already, for sure, taking in account climate change and city & yard micro-climate.

I would add to the possible list Opuntia humifusa, Opuntia aurea, O. fragilis, Echinocereus reichenbachii, Pediocactus nigrispinus, Pediocactus knowltonii, lots of stonecrop (Sedum) species, Sempervivum, etc. In many cases hardiness will depend on the clone you will find, plant origin (been kept indoors before that) or other factors.
some sort of prickly pear in our yard = O. polyacantha, of corse.

Intermountain Cactus
This website declares shipping cold hardy plants to Canada, but I haven't tried it.

Days started to grow - summer is coming. :sunny:
Last summer I ordered from Intermountain Cactus and Plantasia Cactus Gardens (AKA Orton Botanical Garden). Both gave me fast, personal service. Good, sturdy plants although I lost some due to a strange winter with practically no snow to cover and insulate them. We had a lot of sleet and freezing rain and that did them in. However, among my survivors are a Pedio simpsonii, a couple of Echinocereus, Opuntia fragilis, Opuntia erinacea ursina and a couple of other large pad Opuntia. I'm in northern Vermont about 8 miles from Canada. We're Zone 4/5 because we have moderated temperatures next to Lake Champlain.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
7george

Post by 7george »

Intermountain don't ship any more to Canada because of some border prolems. :(
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

7george wrote:Intermountain don't ship any more to Canada because of some border prolems. :(
That's a shame. But have you tried Plantasia/Orton? Their contacts are (or at least as of last year were): (208) 734-7959 (Twin Falls, Idaho); lorton1@msn.com; and their website, plantasiacactusgardens.com. And, of course, there may be others I do not have personal knowledge of.

Hope your search for some cold-hardy cacti has a happy outcome.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
7george

Post by 7george »

Thanks, fanaticactus, I'll check those.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8