Help with raised bed for cold hardy Agave Parryi

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
jnewmark

Help with raised bed for cold hardy Agave Parryi

Post by jnewmark »

I'm planning on trying to grow a particularly hardy Agave Parryi I've found online from a dealer that says it will be hardy in my zone 5 ( north west Ohio USA ), in a raised bed. I'm planning on using 2x12" lumber, stacked 2 high for a depth of 24". I'm wondering if I should insulate the insides with foam boards, or does it not really make a difference ? Bottom layer will be pea gravel, then sharp sand ( if I can find a local source ), limestone gravel, or just more peal gravel. How high would the pea gravel need to be before I start laying in the soil? Winters in NW Ohio are typically freezing rain/snow/ then thaw, then freeze for most of the Winter. I have not been successful in a small depth raised bed for Echinocereus, and Corypantha, but I did not get the drainage right, and most rotted away after a few years, even after I covered with a canopy of 6 mil plastic sheeting in Winter. Any tips, comments, concerns, or opinions welcome. I have three of the Agaves in pots right now, but they are small plants ( from Colorado ), and have not experienced a cold winter yet. The dealer said to keep them in pots , outside this Winter in a protected spot from excess moisture, perhaps under a cloche or covered area. Then, plant them the following Spring. Bed will be about 2 feet by 8 feet. Any thoughts ?