Trichocereus in full sun....

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
BarryRice

Trichocereus in full sun....

Post by BarryRice »

Hey guys

What do you think about my trying Trichocereus (Echinopsis) candicans and tarijensis outside in full sun in central California. These are conditions amenable to related columnars, such as T. (E.) pachanoi, chiloensis, peruvianus and terscheckii.

My test specimens are fairly large, currently living in 3 gallon pots (the candicans is just starting to bunch).
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.52 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.22 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
cactushobbyman

Re: Trichocereus in full sun....

Post by cactushobbyman »

Most of my Echinopsis get a little sun burned in the full sun. Although I have a few in full sun, Echinopsis bruchii, with very little burn. If you don't mine a little yellow, full sun. If not, filtered shade during the heat of the day from early June through October. That's the valley. 8)
Tony

Post by Tony »

I wouldn't think twice about growing either of those species in full sun here. I don't think it would be much different there.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Tony, I wonder if your conditions are maybe a tad milder than mine?

CactusHobbyMan--you said you get some yellowing on your plants. Is this true for the big Trichos, like terscheckii or chiloensis or pachanoi? I grow those in full exposure without a problem
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

My pachanoi is crested so it may make a difference, but is does yellow just a little. We get temp to 110+ during the summer and they are in full sun. Others like my Echinopsis hybrids the same. They are grown in native heavy clay soil, not sure if that may cause some yellowing. :)
leland

Post by leland »

I don`t have experience with these specific varieties, but ease them in the first year, especially if they were not in full sun when they were growing in pots. Plant them in spring and before the hot weather cover them with agricultural shade cloth (40 to 50% shade) for the first summer.

I`ve had pachanoi and peruvianus in full sun in the lower colorado river valley for years. Once they are established, deep watering no more than once a month from when the spring rains stop until mid-november.
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

I am very pleased how various Trichocereus species do here in NE Florida. They can take the heat and humidity and survive in the winter although I place styrefoam cups on their tops with the occasional frost.
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Well, having kept these guys in full sun all summer long, they did just fine!

Cheers

Barry