Cleistocactus strausii?

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
BarryRice

Cleistocactus strausii?

Post by BarryRice »

Hey All,

I have several Cleistocactus straussii (some, from folks on this forum, even). My winters regularly drop down to about 20 days below freezing, and maybe 10 of those get into the middle to low 20s. Can Cleistocactus strausii survive such conditions? Must it be dry, since our winters tend to be rainy? My plants are potted---if they can survive, I'm toying with trying them as landscape plants.
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
majcka

Re: Cleistocactus strausii?

Post by majcka »

I think it should hold -15C (about 5F) if kept dry. I'm not sure how much cold it could hold if wet.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

I've read the tall, cererus-like cacti respond well to deep pots or being planted out. Is the same true for C. straussii?

Does it like lots of root room?
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Cleistocactus, including strausii, do quite well over the winter in the Phoenix area where last winter for example, it got to the low-mid 20s for over a weeks stretch (highs rebounded quickly to the 50s-60s). We also get a bit of rain right in front of the rain systems, so this past winter I did lose a couple of plants from a combination of the wetness followed by unusually cold lows.

But, I think you'd be fine if they were in well-draining soil.
litoriachloris

Post by litoriachloris »

From Çanakkale TURKEY. Last week's weather chart maybe gives you an idea (C°). The plant was located on cacti bed with excellent drainage, protected from the winds by south facing wall. But it was soaking wet due to the melting snow.

And the result...
Attachments
Weather chart
Weather chart
Untitled-1.jpg (112.55 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
Cleistocactus strausii
Cleistocactus strausii
IMG_4513.JPG (69.85 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

litoriachloris wrote:From Çanakkale TURKEY. Last week's weather chart maybe gives you an idea (C°). The plant was located on cacti bed with excellent drainage, protected from the winds by south facing wall. But it was soaking wet due to the melting snow.

And the result...
Good morning,

Cleistocactus strausii comes from Bolivia Departamento Tarija, there are never temperatures below zero degrees celsius.
My Cleistocactus strausii live in winter in the greenhouse. Lowest temperature 5 ° C, and every 3 to 4 weeks, some water.
I'm very sorry that I did not see your question earlier - then the plant could still live.

Best wishes and greetings to Canakkale (I like Your town very much!!!)

K.W.

250px-Klimadiagramm_Tarija.png
250px-Klimadiagramm_Tarija.png (33.12 KiB) Viewed 2256 times

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.