Some outside pictures

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
cactushobbyman

Some outside pictures

Post by cactushobbyman »

School is out and I have been able to do some long needed clean-up. This is about 1/4 of my outside garden. Feels good to get this much done so far. #-o #-o #-o
1.jpg
1.jpg (171.56 KiB) Viewed 4518 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (181.54 KiB) Viewed 4518 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (173.51 KiB) Viewed 4518 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (167.94 KiB) Viewed 4518 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (179.47 KiB) Viewed 4518 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (188.4 KiB) Viewed 4518 times

:)
Harriet

Re: Some outside pictures

Post by Harriet »

Every time I have had the time and/or energy to go clean up weeds in my garden this year, it has rained! Every time it rains, each weed seems to triple in size. So, your weed free garden looks particularly amazing to me, and I am jealous!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice looking garden! I actually wish I had something like that TO weed.....
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Gnostic

Post by Gnostic »

What species is that large crest? It looks awesome!
waiting for godot...
apfire

Post by apfire »

What a way to grow cactus. It'sbeen raining for at least 3 days with more forcasted through Tuesday.
I am just looking for the defining statement to put here. Follow this link to see my other cacti.
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... cti%202013, 2014 http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... New%20Year
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Gnostic wrote:What species is that large crest? It looks awesome!
I believe the plant was ID as an Echinopsis pachanio. First picture is a cutting that I potted and the second is a, I call it a sucker, of the crested plant. Both plants are about 5 feet tall and that much wide.

1.jpg
1.jpg (157.28 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (132.12 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
:)
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

apfire wrote:What a way to grow cactus. It'sbeen raining for at least 3 days with more forcasted through Tuesday.
You probably got more rain in those three days than what we get all year. We are lucky to get 12 inches a year. BTW, how's those cuttings doing? :)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

lol we got 12 inches (our normal or close to it for a whole year) in two-three days in Jan of 2010, it was crazy. It kept raining and raining... it rained 10 days that January.. It was fun.. the river flooded badly.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

BTW great cactus gardens :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

The garden is really looking swell. So nice that you take advantage of your ability to put columnars in the ground!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Plugzz

Post by Plugzz »

Very nice garden everything is placed lovely
good job!

Can I post your Trich Monstrose somewhere?
Such a beaut I wanna show it off for you haha.
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

You have an awesome yard! That huge pach crest is amazing. How long did it take your oreocereus to grow that big? I love those wooly south american cacti. If I had the space that you do I would grow so many columnar cacti.
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Fantastic garden. I wish I had the same weather conditions as you to be able to do something that large. Due to all the rain in my area I really have to mend the soil for very fast draining. May I ask what is the large three columnar that you have polls around? Also with all your cacti so large, have you had any of them drop seed and sprout? And finally what kind of amendments did you add to your local soil, it really looks great....to me.
iann

Post by iann »

Some monster plants out there :shock:
--ian
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Joel143 wrote:Fantastic garden. I wish I had the same weather conditions as you to be able to do something that large. Due to all the rain in my area I really have to mend the soil for very fast draining. May I ask what is the large three columnar that you have polls around? Also with all your cacti so large, have you had any of them drop seed and sprout? And finally what kind of amendments did you add to your local soil, it really looks great....to me.
The plant that is staked is an Oreocereus celsianus. It had four, then we had a heavy period of rain and wind, and it fell over. When I tried to re-stand it, I lost one columnar in the process. After I got the plant upright, I staked it until it reestablish itself. This spring will be one year. It should be ready to start loosening the ties holding it to the stakes. I replanted the broken columnar in another area and still waiting for sign of new growth. I posted this under Leaning Tower of Oreocereus. I have not seen seedlings from seeds in the area, but I did have Opuntia seedlings sprout in different areas of my property far from where they grow. Now I dig out the native soil and back fill with both native soil, pea gravel and DE. I have heavy clay soil so I'm trying to change the soil only when I replant. I started the garden in 1994/95 and have made many changes and still making them today. School out in mid June, so it's back to making changes. :lol: