Connecticut Outdoors 2012 (Andy)

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
hoteidoc

Re: Connecticut Outdoors 2012 (Andy)

Post by hoteidoc »

Nice stuff, Andy! Hopefully health issue is behind you & I'm sure your plants were doing their best to keep your spirits up :D . ! All looks familiar, save me the time of posting :wink: Very nice Semper blossom shot! And congrats on your O. fragilis. I was happy my small cluster even survived - doing well now. Have acquired 4 different varieties from a long-time grower in Nebraska, including a "wicked" Black Cat! All the others are reasonable benign!
Welcome back - you were missed!
Peter
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
John C

Post by John C »

Glad to see an update, Andy. I sure am sorry to hear that you have been having health issues. I hope you are feeling well very soon!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Andy, the plants are looking fantastic. The seedlings you sent me are going great guns this year and can't really be considered seedlings anymore.

Hope you are doing better and continue to do so!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Was not aware you were dealing with your health this spring/summer. Hope things are better now. You seem to have even a wider variety of cold-hardies than I remember--all looking great. The seedlings and pads you sent along are doing fine; I will keep three of the Echinocers in pots during the winter in case those in the garden succumb to winter weather. But those in the garden appear to have taken a firm hold and are getting fatter. I'm enlarging that garden and planning another. The second one gets sun all day, but there's no shelter on the north side so I'm a bit concerned it might not do as well. Your photos convince me that I should plant a few hardy succulents to add color and texture variety. Is that a "hens and chicks" I see, or do I have it confused with something similar? Also, is one of your outdoor residents an E. viridiflorus?
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

I went back and named everything so that you can see whats what. I've got a lot more than that just many haven't bloomed yet so they often go don't get their picture taken.

Yeah those are "hens n chicks" (Sempervivum) which are great for the cactus garden. They suffer a bit during the hottest days of summer and would probably like daily water right now but the cactus don't so they tough it out. I've got millions of them if you want me to send you a starter package.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Andy_CT wrote:
Yeah those are "hens n chicks" (Sempervivum) which are great for the cactus garden. They suffer a bit during the hottest days of summer and would probably like daily water right now but the cactus don't so they tough it out. I've got millions of them if you want me to send you a starter package.
Thanks, Andy. I would love some, especially since they're "tried and true" New England style. Could we put a hold on them, though, since my garden space is not yet enlarged. I'm trying to get some comparative prices between raised beds of the typical lumber "railroad ties" or red stone from Lowe's. The red stone is my aesthetic choice, since it would go so perfectly with the adjoining brick red stamped concrete patio.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Awesome looking plants and pics Andy, great work. Even the opuntia flowers look fantastic! :P