outside cacti garden UK

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
garfield

outside cacti garden UK

Post by garfield »

I would like to establish a small cacti/succulent garden outside in the UK. can anyone suggest plants that might survive in out winters? I live in Nottinghamshire[/list]
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I live in Arizona, USA so I may not be the best person to ask, however there are some Opuntia that can live in temps that are down below -20F in northern Canada.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I grow opuntia humifusa and maihueniopsis darwinii outside in the netherlands, those should do fine where you live, however make sure to have them in high beds with a very good draining soil.
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
garfield

outside cacti

Post by garfield »

Thank you from Arizona and from the Netherlands.
I wll obtain some Opuntia and see what happens. I have never grown Opuntia as they usually grow so big.

Thank you both
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

There are many different Opuntias. Some huge, some tiny, some good outside, and some not so much. Be careful about what you pick out! Once established they are hard to move.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

I doubt that most Opuntia species would grow very large or be hard to remove in the UK but it is good advice that you choose the species with care. Opuntia fragilis, O. aurea, O. pinkavae and O. polyacantha are all cold hardy and relatively small. They should do well for you. O. humifusa, and O. macrorhiza are also good choices. Beds should be elevated and with good drainage.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.