Some from my Idaho desert garden.

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

GermanStar wrote:Very nice garden pics, but those fire shots give me the willies! When did the fire hit?
I think it happened about 3 years ago maybe 4. :?
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:there is another fire that is less then 10 miles from me along, you guessed it I-17. There have been like 6 fires up there in the past year or two.
I feel for yea. Sounds like a heavy fuel area.
Its been awhile sence I've been that way. is there many trees there. Seem like I remember a lot of junipers? :? :)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

DesertZone wrote:
Peterthecactusguy wrote:there is another fire that is less then 10 miles from me along, you guessed it I-17. There have been like 6 fires up there in the past year or two.
I feel for yea. Sounds like a heavy fuel area.
Its been awhile sence I've been that way. is there many trees there. Seem like I remember a lot of junipers? :? :)
Where I live is the transition between the low desert and the high desert. So we don't have any junipers where I live they are about 20 miles north of us in thickets. There are individual trees about 10 miles North of us, by where all those fires are happening. It's partially from all the rain we had that grows tons of crappy non-native grass that ADOT planted along the median strips and sides of the road and has now spread. The areas where the fires have been don't have much left of the native stuff, maybe some Opuntia that are brave and survived the last fire hahaha.. and btw there are some Saguaros just south of the area that were burned in yet another fire.. *sigh* there have been too many fires for me to remember when they all were too!

And btw where I live is a pretty have fuel area, because of the river.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.