labeling plants in the garden

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
mendel

labeling plants in the garden

Post by mendel »

I can see the time when I wont be able to keep track of what is what in the garden, if I dont come up with a way to label everything.

I have seen the zinc and other metal labels, they are kind of expensive IMO. Writing on wood stakes with sharpie markers works ok, but you have to pull the stake yearly and rewrite the name because the ink fades.

I use mini blind slats as labels for my potted plants, I write on them with a mechanical pencil, it seems to last for years, but the slats are apt to break if messed with much.

I would like to hear how you other folks are keeping track of your outdoor in-ground collections.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I've been using the cheapest craft wood stakes (AKA: tounge depressors) and have used my wood burning tool to ID the plant on them. It should last until the wood rots away, and it puts my wood burning tool to work on something besides detailing bird carvings...
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I use the same polystyrene labels i use in pots for the garden plants. I use a small Brother P-Touch label maker to thermo print the names/info. UV resistant so the labels will not fade and are fully waterproof. So far they as good as new after 2 years of SoCal sun.

You can simplify it with some skewers and color codes or write numbers. Then draw up a map and plug in the numbers/color codes.
iann

Post by iann »

One of the nicest solutions I've seen is to paint on a large pebble. You have to keep things pretty tidy so the pebbles don't get buried or just kicked away, but its so much nicer than even things like metal or slate labels.
--ian
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

iann wrote:One of the nicest solutions I've seen is to paint on a large pebble. You have to keep things pretty tidy so the pebbles don't get buried or just kicked away, but its so much nicer than even things like metal or slate labels.
I like the idea :D I do believe I'm going to give it a try.
Thanks Iann :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Di

Post by Di »

Harriet wrote:I've been using the cheapest craft wood stakes (AKA: tounge depressors) and have used my wood burning tool to ID the plant on them. It should last until the wood rots away, and it puts my wood burning tool to work on something besides detailing bird carvings...
What a great idea for indoor plants. I am going to go and buy popsicle sticks. I was at a nursery today and they were out of the plastic things. They had little metal ones but they were expensive. Tongue depressors would be too wide for my plants but popsicle sticks will work just as well. Yeah! Thanks for the great idea......
Di