Myrtillocactus geometrizans

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Myrtillocactus geometrizans

Post by WayneByerly »

In July of 2013 I bought a Myrtillocactus geometrizans. Shortly thereafter, not realizing that I was duplicating my efforts, I bought another. These cacti were inside for all of 2013 to 2015 where they accomplished very little growth (NOTHING discernable in 2013, MAYBE .75 inches in 2014 and MAYBE 3 inches in 2015) and actually suffered from etiolation. So I built a greenhouse and put all of my succulents in it, where my Myrtillocactus geometrizans put on a tremendous amount of growth ... something like six to eight inches ... and it's maybe 2.5" to 3" across at the top. (see photos).

So now I've got this tall, leggy, M. geometrizans whose top is much broader than it's base. Which makes it kind of wobbly. Can I repot this cactus, burying it deeper than it this at THIS point by maybe 2 inches, in the hopes of steadying it somewhat? Or should I do something else? I welcome any and all suggestions, and thank any possible responders in advance for advice of what to do with this cactus.

You may well note the fact that I have a dowel driven into the ground next to each of these cacti. It doesn't show here, but I have a piece of velcro wrapped around the dowel & cactus nearly at the top of the dowel to add SOME support to the cactus. The taller of the two is approximately 19 inches!

July 2013. You can see the base is barely larger than a dime.
2013-07-29 1209.jpg
2013-07-29 1209.jpg (29.66 KiB) Viewed 7829 times
December 2015
2015-12-27 112.jpg
2015-12-27 112.jpg (45.08 KiB) Viewed 7829 times
October 2016. This picture is NOT oriented like this. The system had inappropriately rotated it. I have NO idea why. Apologies.
2016-10-05 DSCF6755.jpg
2016-10-05 DSCF6755.jpg (98.06 KiB) Viewed 7829 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
SnowFella

Re: Myrtillocactus geometrizans

Post by SnowFella »

I find from my inground one that even a thin stem can support quite a bit of weight, main stem wouldn't be much more than 4 inches in diameter at ground level yet it supports what can be seen in this photo.

Trimmed it quite hard last year to limit the spread of the arms but once again it's out of control so it's due to be fully ripped out before the pool season takes off here downunder, it's in the pool area and just don't trust where it is with young grandkids that run around on the pool deck.
7george

Post by 7george »

Yeah, those spines look scary. Many kinds of cacti will grow like crazy outdoors there probably. I thought growing cacti in Australia was been banned, or not any more and in all states? :)
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

No overall ban but some species are "banned" either for weed reasons or for Alkaloid reasons, varies from state to state though.

Started my work of removing it the other week and by gosh it's got an internal skeleton like no other plant I've come across! Cutting tips or partway down a branch is easy with a serrated knife but going any further down I've had to resort to a hacksaw!
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Snowfella,
Did it ever give you fruit? Myrtillocereus are said to be one of the most delicious of all cactus fruit,.

Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Unfortunately not, 7 years in the ground and not asmuch as a single flower on it. #-o
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Yeah, mine in the ground is also 7 years and no flowetrs...
With cactus the operative term is definitely "wait and see". Good thing they are so good looking even without flowers.

Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!