Copiapoa

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Great copiapoas guys! 8)

Mark
süleyman

Post by süleyman »

<b>Darryl</b>, great collection and shots :)
if you meant Graham Charles's book as your hand-book, its classification is fairly old and some of the taxons' descriptions, like C.esmeraldana is wrong.
A few years ago, before the NCL, G.Charles updated his book with an addendum sheet and I obtained it personally from him. Later, the Copiapoa classification updated by NCL , partially on the basis of G.Charles's book, but much more accurately and it widely accepted nowadays. There is no variety, nearly all of the former varietal names are ssp. !..
If you wish, you can see this classif. in my Copiapoa album, in the Webshots.

I like your C.dealbata, it is great with its waxy coat !..This white waxy covering don't develop in many of European climates, and the body remains green.
here is mine: (those are old pics., plants are fairly big now)
Copiapoa dealbata AW84, from Piltz

C. tigrillensis is a Karel Knize's catalog name, a nomen nudum, and generally accepted that it is a form of C.longistaminea from Tigrillo valley. This sp. is very variable and there is a form nearly all valleys in that area.
here is mine:
Copiapoa longistaminea 'tigrillensis' comes as C.sp. 'tigrillo', from Kakteen Plapp

C.esmeraldana, from Paolo Panarotto

<b>Copiapoa ahremephiana GC294.04</b> from the greenhouse of Graham Charles, grown by him from his habitat collected seeds.
This is the newest accepted species of the genus Copiapoa. Its picture is in the book Copiapoa (1998) on page 6, as Copiapoa sp. RMF 53 has been formally described by Nigel Taylor and G.Charles as Copiapoa ahremephiana Taylor&Charles, in 2002. The name is the field number acronym of Roger Ferryman (RMF).

Copiapoa humilis ssp.varispinata 'paposoensis', from Cactoo

cheers
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Very nice plants Suleyman!
Thank you for the info!
Thats pretty clever, RMFiana 8)

This is turning out to be quite the educational thread! :D
süleyman

Post by süleyman »

Thanks, Darryl :)

<b>Bryan</b> nice old seedlings :)
C.grandiflora is a separate species nowadays and its synonymes are Copiapoa cinerascens grandiflora, Copiapoa montana grandiflora.
C.taltalensis' synonymes are Copiapoa aphanes, C.hornilloensis, C.rubriflora, C.rupestris. Formerly, it is regarded that hornilloensis is a grandiflora variety. The field number comes from that times.
here are mines as seedlings:

Copiapoa taltalensis ssp.taltalensis GC298.05, Grown from seed pollinated in habitat by G.Charles.

Copiapoa taltalensis ssp.taltalensis, a little more grown one :)

Copiapoa grandiflora, from Cactus Art. You see that these two sp. are quite similar in the seedling phase.

cheers
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

This is turning out to be quite the educational thread!
My favorite kind! :)

Thanks for the explanation Süleyman. Beautiful plants and pics all!
Tony

Post by Tony »

great info and pictures everyone. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
kaktus

Post by kaktus »

Great looking plants!
How difficult are this genus to care for?
iann

Post by iann »

Copiapoas don't have complex needs. Steady warmth and sun, and regular water when they're growing.

Sounds easy enough but can be quite tricky in practice. They don't deal well with excesses. They can take great heat and even a mild frost, but they don't really like either and will shut up shop until conditions improve. They take a good while to get growing again after a long dark winter, and then have a habit of splitting their skin. They are prone to scorching when not adapted to intense sun, they do this in spring and even when the sun suddenly comes out after a couple of dull weeks. They are very drought tolerant especially when large, but they stop growing to conserve resources. They certainly don't like being soggy, especially the ones with big fat roots. Habitat conditions never vary much so they don't like change, and they don't do anything quickly. In the right conditions they grow reasonably well, but have a reputation for being very slow in the stop-start conditions most of us can provide.

Here's that plant I mentioned. Its generally thought to be a hybrid between C. cinerea and C. krainziana, certainly intermediate in appearance and in location.
--ian
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Nice plant Ian, i see what you mean by the stout white spines. Very interesting.
Where can i get one? :)
iann

Post by iann »

This is grown from seed collected by Benjy Oliver as OLV24. You may find similar plants as C. albispina or C. cinerea var albispina although they mostly seem to have fewer spines. I like this one.
--ian
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Ahh, cool.
I'll keep an eye out for one.
How old is your seedling? 4-5 years?
peter

Post by peter »

Cool plants!
iann

Post by iann »

Slightly over 5 years old. Its just starting to produce pups, so I'm not sure whether the main body will continue to grow quickly, or whether it will put all its energy into offsets.
--ian
vlani

Post by vlani »

I've got some too!

dura, paposoensis, lembckei. All in 4 inch pots, different sources. Have bunch of this year seedlings of other species species too :)

Cereusly

Post by Cereusly »

Darryl, That is one great collection of Copiapoas. I especially like the C. hypogaea and C. hypogaea 'Lizard Skin.' The black spines are one of this plants best traits. Thanks for sharing!
Cereusly