Echinocereus fendleri var. rectispinus

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
tumamoc

Echinocereus fendleri var. rectispinus

Post by tumamoc »

The cool thing about living in the desert is the opportunity to salvage cacti that are destined to be obliterated by heavy construction equipment. The crappy thing about being in the desert is seeing cacti and ther habitat get obliterated by heavy construction equipment. Here's a rescued clump of Echinocereus fendleri var. rectispinus...

Tony

Post by Tony »

=D>

Nice " Salvage" ! 8)
Its hard to imagine a clump like goin under a bulldozer. :(
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Mark

Post by Mark »

That's a great one Tumamoc.

Mark
vlani

Post by vlani »

Great plant!
From what I know the salvaged plants can be distrubuted within the state only. Is it true?
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Tony wrote:Its hard to imagine a clump like goin under a bulldozer
...but this was only one of probably a couple hundred.
vlani wrote:Great plant!
From what I know the salvaged plants can be distrubuted within the state only. Is it true?
I am pretty sure that salvaged plants can leave the State of Arizona. However, with a few exceptions, cacti, ocotillo, etc. need a permit from the AZ Dept. of Ag. These cacti are often available from cactus rescue groups, either as a participant on their rescues where you just pay the cost of the tag ($5 for low-lying cacti) or through their plant sales.
TimN

Post by TimN »

Wow, beautiful plant! Congratulations....

From my occasional view of rescue/salvage here in the north valley in Phoenix, it seems like the low-lying plants are the LEAST likely to get salvaged. Generally, they will get all Saguaros and any columnars, along with big Opuntias.

The small stuff is not fastidiously removed from the sites in my observation.

The Tuscon CSS is having a show/sale on 5/10-11 and they have some salvaged plants for sale, Echinocerius and Saguaro according to their site. The Central AZ CSS has Echinocerius and small Mammillaria for sale from a recent salvage. Prices are generally $5 or less for small plants.

Tim
peter

Post by peter »

That is really a nice haul! :)
vlani

Post by vlani »

These cacti are often available from cactus rescue groups, either as a participant on their rescues where you just pay the cost of the tag ($5 for low-lying cacti) or through their plant sales
I do not live in AZ - so joining the salvage effort is not an option. Do any of the resque groups mail plants?
With couple hundreds plants to go under buldoser there is obviously some number that people did not dig up because there is a limited room in the back yard, limited available labour, limited track space.. So may be selling them out of state will make sence?
But on a bright side plants dieing natuarly too and that is life. Environmental impact is likely to be neglectable unless it is an endangered species that grows here only - not the case with any echinocerei. And probably nobody digs chollas anyways..
hob

Post by hob »

now thats a great show i think its their way of saying thanks for the rescue :)
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Nice! Awesome plant!
Good save Greg 8)

Was it already in flower or did they grow after you got it? Looks very happy in it's new home, free from the bulldozers!
woolykev

Post by woolykev »

Did you get that for FREE? I'm jealous....
When's the next flight to AZ? Anyone know that? :D

Kev
How many cacti are there on earth.....?
iann

Post by iann »

I'm growing this from seed. Nice to see what I'll have in another 20 years :)
--ian