Cactus of the Month

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

OK, well just when I think I have those Gymno's figured out... we need a rhyme or something to help remember them like "Lefty loosey, righty tighty." :lol:

How can it be 5 years already!?! That is really amazing and what a debt of gratitude we owe John for starting it and Hob for keeping it going and improving on the concept! :salute:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
hob

Post by hob »

daiv wrote: How can it be 5 years already!?! That is really amazing and what a debt of gratitude we owe John for starting it and Hob for keeping it going and improving on the concept! :salute:
6 years :wink:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

hob wrote: 6 years :wink:
Hob, that's right! I was thinking 10-5 = 5, but since 2005 and 2010 are both complete, it is 6 years.

This of course is even more incredible. Really neat that it has been around that long, but also leaves me wondering: "Where did the time go?" :o
hob

Post by hob »

incurable cactoholic
iann

Post by iann »

Is that your Matucana flowering, Hob? And is that grey pancake in habitat really the same species :shock:

Matucana aureiflora has a taproot? I didn't notice this but I did notice that it has a large root system and I have it in a deep pot.
--ian
hob

Post by hob »

iann wrote:Is that your Matucana flowering, Hob? And is that grey pancake in habitat really the same species :shock:

Matucana aureiflora has a taproot? I didn't notice this but I did notice that it has a large root system and I have it in a deep pot.
yes thats my plant, habitat image from here

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... aureiflora

i have not noticed a taproot either but both my main sources mentioned it :?

as mentioned here

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MATUCA ... iflora.htm
incurable cactoholic
hob

Post by hob »

inspired by a recent topic on Pterocactus

my 40th cactus of the month is Pterocactus tuberosus

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21453

almost up to date again now :lol:
incurable cactoholic
hob

Post by hob »

finally up to date again

Echinopsis aurea var. dobeana

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21642

8 different dictionaries failed to give me an answer for "dobeana" so i just put :-unknown. :lol:
incurable cactoholic
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Nice Hob, I don't know the meaning of "dobeana" either, but suspect it was a person's name.
hob

Post by hob »

posts transferred from the cactus of the month section
Sir_Cypher wrote:What is up with the cacti of the month threads? It would be nice to be able to talk about the selection within the context of the threads but they are all locked!
Sir_Cypher wrote:++++plus this sub-forum hasn't been updated for months. Does this board need a volunteer to carry the torch or what?
daiv wrote:The threads are locked since the guy who started it did it that way with a separate discussion post here:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478

I think the idea was to keep a bit more orderly layout to the feature - as comments on a post will bring it to the top.

Send a PM to Hob if you are interested in working on the feature.
Sir_Cypher wrote:Although I'm eager to help I am not sure that my qualifications match my eagerness to help yet. I still feel like a young novice with cacti and especially to this board as I wasn't even a lurker here before several weeks ago. Though still I do like the idea of a cactus of the month discussion for one as a way to broaden our understanding and appreciation of this unique plant family.
Ok i will try to answer the questions asked here as best as i can ...................

As Daiv has already mentioned the thinking behind locking the threads was to as best as possible to keep the topics in their chronological order and also not to spoil the look of the feature by clogging the articles with too many replies .............templegatejohn as i'm sure Daiv will agree did a lot to help set up cactiguide long before i joined, and cactus of the month and its sister topic succulent of the month were his brainchild.
As time went on Johns health deteriorated and he felt unable to continue with this work, in order to keep this feature running i agreed to take over the job of writing cactus of the month although i regard myself more as an interested collector rather than an expert, with no other obvious volunteers, and not wishing to see this valuable resource lost i took over cactus of the month (my knowledge of succulents was (and still is) so bad i felt i could do nothing to continue succulent of the month to his high standard)

since that time i have written 42 cactus of the month articles muddling my way through as best as i can using cactiguide and other websites to cover the information needed to create said articles. Recently with one eye on my back and considering copy-write rules i have added a section to include references to other sites where information is sourced for the articles.

in my own humble opinion the topics are best left locked and the section left as a reference for other members to use ........i often use the section to refer new members in the id forum as to the identity of plant id's.

as to not being updated recently ..........i plead guilty :oops:

With my forced retirement on medical grounds 21 months ago i have felt the need to find other things to keep me occupied both mentally and physically to keep me from deteriorating into the dreaded world of watching daytime tv :shock: :study: i must admit this may have worked too well :lol: as my newer interests have kept me occupied to the extent that i now wonder how i ever found the time to go to work :shock: :lol:

however i digress ..............i will remove the above posts from the cactus of the month section in order to keep it as a valuable resource for cactiguide and i will try hard to update the section for the rest of this year........

with that in mind i have done July 2011 this morning and hope to finish the year before the end of the year.

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24084

if i manage to complete 2011 it will be 4 years of me doing cactus of the month ........a reasonable amount of time for my contribution ........... if anyone else wants to take it on please let us know by posting here

regards hob
incurable cactoholic
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Definitely appreciate all the work you put into it Hob! 4 years is just mind-blowing to me to think about.
Tony

Post by Tony »

daiv wrote:Definitely appreciate all the work you put into it Hob! 4 years is just mind-blowing to me to think about.
I am in full agreement, thanks Hobs! :thumbright:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Pilif

Post by Pilif »

I second Tony and Daiv, it's highly appreciated Hob!
I'd volunteer, but alas, I don't think I have enough cactus-knowledge yet.
Filip
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I appreciate it very much as well, wouldn't see myself doing this, I'm very happy you do!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
hob

Post by hob »

I'm taking a 2 week break from my workshop to tidy up the house a bit and get ready for christmas ..............so here i am writing cactus of the month .........beats housework :oops:

they say a picture is worth a thousand words.........I used 10 this time ........so here are 10.000 + words on Selenicereus grandiflorus :lol:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24104

only 4 behind now :?

ah well .........back to the housework :roll:
incurable cactoholic