Cactus of the Month

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
eduart

Cactus of the Month

Post by eduart »

Hi John,

This "Cactus of the Month" serial is awesome. Very detailed information and a professional presentation.

And at this pace (September "issue" is already out on the market) we will celebrate Christmas 2010 in few months... :D

Eduart
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all,

You may be surprised to see that a Cactus of the Month for May has appeared.
Daiv has asked me if I would mind working backwards to try to complete the year.
Some of of you may be surprised to see Opuntia microdasys as it is a common plant and not difficult to keep. I may have been a little selfish as I think it is probably my favourite, at least this month it is.

If you spot any mistakes, please let me know as I rattled this one off rather quickly.

John
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all,

Continuing on in the hope of trying to get a Cactus of the Month for the full year I have put another plant up for April

Cheers all,
John
Mike A

Post by Mike A »

Make it 2 years backwards, not only one. :)

We want more! :lol:
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

templegatejohn wrote:Hi all,

You may be surprised to see that a Cactus of the Month for May has appeared.
Daiv has asked me if I would mind working backwards to try to complete the year.
Some of of you may be surprised to see Opuntia microdasys as it is a common plant and not difficult to keep. I may have been a little selfish as I think it is probably my favourite, at least this month it is.

If you spot any mistakes, please let me know as I rattled this one off rather quickly.

John
Ah, another Opuntia =P~ . Way to go John =D>
I just wish it was hardy, it would be in my collection in a heartbeat :lol:

Great job as usual, keep them coming :)

Bill
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all,

Cactus of the Month for March is up on the Forum. I hope you like this one too.

John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Lookin' good! 8)
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi everybody,

The Cactus of the Month is up for February. This one may not be to everyone's taste, perhaps I'll do a poll to get some idea of the reaction? If I do you will only be able to vote on the plant and not my write up.

John
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Thats a nice looking cactus John. The unusual coloration is definitely a eye catcher.
I like it :)

Great job as usual, keep them coming.

Bill
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi there,

Sulcorebutia rauschii is really a very interesting and eye-catching plant. It was, few years back, one of my first cacti I've bought and unfortunately my first kill... :(

Although I have seen recently some magnificent clones, I couldn't dare to have another try. But it was actually my stupid behaviour (over-overwatering & inadecquate potting mix) that killed the plant. Can't be that hard to keep it alive on own roots...

Eduart
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi everyone,

It's that time again, the plant of the month for October is up on the Forum. Astrophytum's are among the most popular cacti among enthusiasts and this is arguably the best of them all. I hope you like it as much as I do. Which one is it? Take a look and find out.

All the Best to Everyone,

John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Astrophytums have always been one of my favorites. Just because they are so popular doesn't mean they aren't still super plants!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi everyone,

Finally made it, I am up to date with what hopefully will be a full year of Cactus of the Month. I hope you like this one too.

I am a little surprised that no one has yet come forward with a photograph of their special plant, so if you want one of your own plants to "star" in cactus of the month just E-mail me a photograph, but remember it must be one that you have taken yourself or have permission to use. I will do the rest.

It does not have to be a rare or expensive species, just a reasonably good, close up photograph of a well kept plant.

This also applies to succulents. I will be starting to do a succulent of the month in the New Year.
Mike A

Post by Mike A »

Expect some soon ;)
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

If I had showy cactus I'd send one but alas All I have is some pricklys growing in the yard.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D

Bill