Cactus of the Month

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hey Buck, Feathers ruffled, jungle drums, smoke signals. I just knew the mention of the Lexicon would cause ears to prick up.

Has it actually been published; has someone really seen one and had they been drinking at the time; worst of all has someone got a copy before me? All these thoughts flashed through my mind too.

What I did think about is that our own Forum is now a vast store of knowledge, freely given by you and all the other members and if that knowledge could be collated into some sort of order with an index (don't try it daiv), I am sure that it would rival any book ever published, including the Lexicon.

John
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

I am in 100% agreement with you John. The freely shared knowledge here is fantastic! Sounds like a job for Eustace.

I'm just thinking, without the new book, who would we have to yell at for changing all of the names that we already know? Much to comfortable.
Buck Hemenway
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

templegatejohn wrote:What I did think about is that our own Forum is now a vast store of knowledge, freely given by you and all the other members and if that knowledge could be collated into some sort of order with an index (don't try it daiv), I am sure that it would rival any book ever published, including the Lexicon.
John
John,
Well, I don't know that that would be an advantage either. Here you can use the "search" mechanism in place of an index. Also, hard drive space is much cheaper than printing pages. Portability is even becoming less and less of an issue. Don't get me wrong, I am not predicting the demise of paper bound books (yet).
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all, it's that time again. I hope you like this month's offering. I know that it is probably not everybody's cup of tea, but I like it and I am confident many of you will too.

John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

John, I like it! Makes me wonder if they get the rust spots in the wild too, or if that is something that happens in cultivation.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I also like it. The coloration and appearance of it is unique.
Great looking plant John.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all, Cacti of the Month for October is up on the Forum. If you don't like this one, start collecting stamps. OK, you already collect stamps, there's nothing wrong with that, when the cacti are resting.

John
hablu

Post by hablu »

John, I would give half of my collection to have one of these! Perfect plant. Harry
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Very nice choice, John ! Thank you. :D
Dominique
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

This is very nice indeed John, another for my wish list. It looks fascinating :)
Perry

'No-one can make me feel inferior without my consent'

Eleanor Roosevelt
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- Great looking A. hintonii! Mesa Garden has seed (aka, dust!) for $2 US. Miles Anderson and others have had some success grafting very tiny seedlings, as you mention, which then take off and grow much more quickly than on their own roots.

The first photograph in Edgar and Brian Lamb's Popular Exotic Cacti in Color is of a tiny A. ritteri that was in their Exotic Collection for more than forty years, and they estimated it was perhaps 70 years old. It is a clump of about 8 very small stems. It's impressive that they had such success with some of the real challenging desert rats in Worthing, Sussex.

It's a fascinating twist in human nature that we seem to want what's new, difficult, challenging and rare without regard to our skill as growers, our climatic conditions, or our long term commitment to the plants we acquire. Mexico should permit the export of A. hintonii to people who sign a binding contract stating that if they kill their plant, they will donate say $5,000 to Mexican conservation efforts. :lol:

Peterb
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Nice one John.

I might have to look into one next spring while traveling threw NM :) Oh wait, I'm a beginner-never mind :lol:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well done John! You are right -this plant fascinates me too.

We had the pleasure at one of our Cacti meetings not too long ago of seeing these in habitat. The fellow, Vince, made a trip to their habitat and showed pictures of them growing wild on the cliffs. Other plants in the show were A. ritteri, G. mexicana, Ariocarpus (several), Astrophytums (several).

I actually was so excited though the presentation that I was physically tired by the time it was done! :happy8:
parodias

belated ..

Post by parodias »

well even up North here they grow .. :)

templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all, it's that time again, although I know it is a little early for the November plant of the month. I am sure you will all like this one (sorry it's not an Opuntia, Bill), I hope so anyway.

Cheers everybody,
John