Cactus of the Month

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Sir John,

I believe you have been doing an outstanding job with cacti/succulent of the month. I for one like seeing the young plants in there full beauty so to say.
Mature plants are magnificent looking but tend to loose the luster they have when younger. But no matter how young or old, I love them all.

Keep up the fantastic work and thanks for the sweet treat each month.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

John,
I'm thrilled with the choice you've made. I think it is going to take you a while to get through every species. (My calculations say about 150 years or so -better take your vitamins!) Anyway, it might even be a good idea to have a seperate category for columnars. Columnar of the month? But let's not try and wear you out either. I wonder if there are any other members who are shy, but might want to have a feature of their own. If so send me a PM or e-mail and lets discuss it!

If not, John -just go with what you know. I think the feature is great and you are very generous with your time to do two of them every month for us to enjoy!

When I put this forum together, I had community in mind. I am continually amazed at how well the community gets along and at how kindly everyone helps each other; especially new-commers. I look forward to growing together and develop more features, have more pictures, more info, etc.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all, the latest offering is now up on the Forum. I hope you like it. Don't forget to check out the Succulent of the Month as well.

Good growing everybody,

John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Lookin' good John! F. latispinus is a favorite of mine. They are a good choice for beginners especially because they are so tough. They look good even if they don't get the best care.
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Thank you, John ! It is a beautiful plant and a great picture.
Dominique
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Thanks John,

Another spectacular cactus and write up as usual :D
Bill

templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Thanks Dominique, Daiv and Bill, It is always nice to get some response to the article and a good response is even better.

Cheers, John
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

I agree, very good, it contains a lot of facts that I didn't have a clue about!
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Cactus of the Month for May is up on the Forum. It contains a photograph that Franj sent to me. I have tried to get as much information as I can on the plant, but it is not one that I have kept myself. Hope you like it.

John
Amapola

Post by Amapola »

Hi John,

many thanks to you for your new Cotm and thanks to Franj for the picture.

I haven't seen this cute little Gymno before but I like it very much and if I can find it at the nursery perhaps tomorrow I'll have one...

Actually, it was the Cotm-area what kept me to this forum. I've learned a lot of your articles, John, and I would like to learn much more.

If it is allowed to ask for a species I would like to read about Consolea moniliformis in one of the next months.

Greetings,

Polly
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

John,

Another great addition to COTM. Definitely a nice looking cactus and great write up, love the unusual color :)
Congrats to Franj for making the headline with one from his collection.
Bill

Franj

Post by Franj »

Hi John :D

I thank you for using my picture and featuring my plant. It's quite an honor. My hope is that others may be encouraged by this and send you pictures. I've seen some great photography from this forums members. If others respond in kind this would allow you to expand COTM beyond your own collection and database of pictures. This is one of the best features of this site in my opinion. Beautiful and informative. And your personal touch is refreshing.

Thank you,
Franj
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Once again, well done John! For the others, you might note that John is also responsible for 2 articles posted above under "Cacti Articles" and he also compiled the Glossary and Etymology pages that are used on this site. A generous and talented man is he! O:)
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Thank you, John (and Franj !). It is a beautiful plant. I have one close to this one that I like a lot : the torulosum variety
Dominique
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Thank you, John. It is a very beautiful plant. I really long for mine to give me flowers. And the pictures made by David are always awesome.
Dominique