Cactus of the Month

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all, The cactus of the month is up now. My own plant is looking quite handsome, but I could not resist using David's photograph. He really makes the plants look stunning. Enjoy.

John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

For those who do not know yet David's pictures. Here is the link to his website :
http://www.botanica.uk.net/
Dominique
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

John,

Excellent choice as usual. I've admired Thelocactus macdowellii in the past. Was considering it for my hardy garden but fear I couldn't keep it dry enough in the winter for it to survive.

Keep them coming :D
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Good work John!
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Thanks to John for picking one of my personal favorites as COTM. T. macdowellii is always a striking presence in any collection.

I also find interesting, John's comments about it being common in collections. Must just be an English thing:-). They are not common here in the US and are seldom offered commercially. A large specimen on the show bench is a rare sight.

In my experience, they are meager seed producers (3-8 seeds per fruit) and, though easy to germinate, very sensitive to both damping off and dessication while in early stages of development. Once you manage get them to 2cm or so in size, they are considerably tougher. It's just getting them that far that is a problem for me.

Here, to share are two images of one in my collection. It is 18 years from seed. The bowl is 8" dia. I am about to pot it on into a larger bowl hoping that it will continue to develop additional offsets. It has proven quite hardy and lives outside, in full sun, year round here in Southern California, inclulding through our winter rains.

http://dgimages.smugmug.com/photos/72183901-M.jpg

http://dgimages.smugmug.com/photos/72183687-M.jpg

Enjoy ... GeneS
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Gene, I love your pictures... and your plant !
Dominique
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

It seems that it has gotten a lot of sun, it looks very healthy! Beautiful spines!
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all, Cacti of the month is up a little early. As I had a little spare time I thought I would get it done. As usual I cannot blame anyone for any errors other than myself. If anyone does spot an error, please let me know.

To the best of my knowledge the information is accurate, but if anyone knows otherwise I would as always be grateful for your input.

This post also gives me the opportunity to congratulate the members on their knowledge of the subject and some really cracking photographs that are appearing on the forum. Good growing everybody.

P.S. To see Bill buying plants that don't draw blood gladdens my heart. He must be going soft in his old age, (as we say in England).
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

John,

First rate job as usual. That's a wonderful plant. Is it yours?

Oh-by-the-way what about the reference to the New Cactus Lexicon. Have you seen it? Is it being shipped? Just seeing who's awake?
Buck Hemenway
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Thanks John! Nice work.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Buck Hemenway wrote: Oh-by-the-way what about the reference to the New Cactus Lexicon. Have you seen it? Is it being shipped? Just seeing who's awake?
That's what I say!

Great work again John! Good choice for sure!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Great choice John. A nice cactus I was unaware of and am surprised by the size it can achieve.

Cough it up John, you hiding something about the Cactus Lexicon.

I also caught the reference to it.
Bill

templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Glad you all liked the choice of plant. Sorry guys can't help you with the Cactus Lexicon. When I was surfing the web for extra information on the Copiapoa, that info was on one of the web pages I visited.

You are now going to ask me which web page and I am afraid I cannot remember. I thought when I was typing it out that the mention of the Lexicon may ruffle a few feathers.

No Buck, unfortunately the plant is not mine. It is a library photograph from our very own Forum.

John
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

I'll consider my feathers ruffled.
Buck Hemenway
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Sir John wrote:
P.S. To see Bill buying plants that don't draw blood gladdens my heart. He must be going soft in his old age, (as we say in England).
Ah, I'm just an old softy at heart anyway :wink: Old age or not.
Bill