What to Do .....?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
woodie101

What to Do .....?

Post by woodie101 »

Hello -I have this cactus that has 2 new ones growing from the top, and not being a "cactus type person", I'm wondering how to deal with it. Looks to me like the main body is dead, but the 2 top ones are nice and green ( little bit of yellow near the base tho).
Tnks
Dave
Attachments
IMG_8194.JPG
IMG_8194.JPG (115.39 KiB) Viewed 769 times
piyeron

Re: What to Do .....?

Post by piyeron »

Looks just fine, though a bit unsightly. The yellow stuff is scar tissue/scabs which won't disappear at this point. The good news is your plant is one of those columnar types that can get pretty big. The pointed tips indicate it's not receiving enough light, so you may want to give it more light by maybe putting it somewhere where it can get either stronger, direct sunlight, or longer durations of light exposure :)
woodie101

Post by woodie101 »

Thanks for the info ...... and if we wanted to take the tops off and re-plant them to have 3 plants instead of one ; can we do that? if so, do you just cut them off ?
Tnks
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

It is becoming heavily etiolated. That is a health risk. You need to place it in much brighter sunlight. Much, much brighter.
TimN

Post by TimN »

Yes, just cut them off at the joint with a sharp, sterilized blade. Let them dry for a few days, then plant. I normally don't water something like this for a few weeks, and then only a small amount of water from the bottom. Once you see new growth, return to normal treatment.

And, yeah, your plants need way more sunlight.

Good luck!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
bitcohen

Post by bitcohen »

Hello all !
Help me too! I know that I definitely need to repot, so I'm going to do that. And think that my pot needs some more gravel to help with drainage but should I get a post to support my taller cactus? And does my smaller one have rot? The dark area is slightly squishy when poked.
Attachments
home-design.jpg
home-design.jpg (136.16 KiB) Viewed 629 times
home-design (1).jpg
home-design (1).jpg (71.74 KiB) Viewed 629 times
7george

Post by 7george »

These cacti suffer from light insufficiency. Need much closer position to a sunny window. I see no rot, just corking stems. And both cacti need separate pots with porous soil mix.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8