Incidental Melocactus seedlings

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
jp29

Incidental Melocactus seedlings

Post by jp29 »

I discussed this subject previously, but I want to do it again, because I have just harvested a number of seedlings that I am preparing to pot up for this year’s growing season.

Most of my mature Brazilian Melocactus produce incidental seedlings that sprout from seeds in the fruit expelled from cephalia that falls down the side of the plant and nestles among the soil surface grit:

I am able to keep my Brazilian Melocactus species stock replenished soley by digging out these incidental seedlings from mature plant pots and growing them on in appropriately sized pots:

Last edited by jp29 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
ElieEstephane

Re: Incidental Melocactus seedlings

Post by ElieEstephane »

Wow you don't even have to bother with sowing seeds!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
jp29

Post by jp29 »

That is true, it is a lazy person’s way to grow cacti!
James
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Seeds always seem to grow quicker in the same pot around the mother plant I find. However if you grow many related species together how do you know they are not hybrids JP?
jp29

Post by jp29 »

DaveW wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:09 am Seeds always seem to grow quicker in the same pot around the mother plant I find. However if you grow many related species together how do you know they are not hybrids JP?
You don’t.
James
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

Will be fun to try to figure out the parents this year James!
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

mdpillet wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 pm Will be fun to try to figure out the parents this year James!
No results before mid-April! I also want to have my chance. . . :mrgreen:
Whereby, Melocactus determination, reputable maybe from the tenth year - or not? :wink:

See You all in April,

best wishes

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

K.W. wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:23 pm
mdpillet wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 pm Will be fun to try to figure out the parents this year James!
Whereby, Melocactus determination, reputable maybe from the tenth year - or not? :wink:

See You all in April,

best wishes

K.W.
Just heard that you're visiting in April! Looking forward to meeting you.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Actually, for me, this is now a convenient way to able to cultivate and admire some of my favorite cactus species during the winter months at my home. I am now confined to staging my plants on a windowsill in my bedroom. (However I still maintain a considerable number of my favorite cacti in a greenhouse at Dan Bach’s Cactus Nursery that I visit from time to time courtesy of my cacti enthusiast friend, Michel Pillet).

On days when the outside temperatures are 60 degrees F + (most winter days here in Tucson) I open the window and transfer the trays they are in to a wrought iron stand just outside the windowsill to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine and they stay there until the temperature drops at eventide. I then bring them indoors so they are nice and warm throughout the night. Melocactus and Discocactus thrive under those conditions. Of course when the warm spring weather arrives (April here in Tucson) I stage my plants outdoors under 30% shade cloth and they remain in that environment until cold nighttime temperatures return (usually November here in Tucson).

Indoors on the windowsill. Actually staged here as a group for photographing convenience.

Following is a Depiction of the set-up for staging my cacti (in full sun) on a wrought iron stand just outside my south facing bedroom window on reasonably warm days during the winter months. When the temperature drops at nightfall (or sometimes during the day) I slide the window open (the screen has been removed) and retrieve the trays one at a time (they are light weight) by reaching out through the open window and positioning them inside on the windowsill.

I have now replaced the mature Melocactus matanzanus and Arrojadoa dinae with transplanted incidental Melocactus seedlings that I feature in this thread - they make for lighter weight trays that are easier for me to handle and I still derive great pleasure from admiring their form and growth.
Last edited by jp29 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

mdpillet wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:39 am
K.W. wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:23 pm

See You all in April,

best wishes

K.W.
Just heard that you're visiting in April! Looking forward to meeting you.
Indeed Michel and K.W. It will be an enjoyable time for everyone here in Tucson!
James
TimN

Post by TimN »

I've had better luck with volunteers than I did sowing seeds. I have dozens of A. fissuratus and A. retusus. Mammillaria, Tehlocactus, Turbinicarpus, and Lophocereus seem to do well for me also. I find Loph seedlings all over the place.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
jp29

Post by jp29 »

TimN wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:13 pm I've had better luck with volunteers than I did sowing seeds. I have dozens of A. fissuratus and A. retusus. Mammillaria, Tehlocactus, Turbinicarpus, and Lophocereus seem to do well for me also. I find Loph seedlings all over the place.
Certainly the case for me with Melocactus - I harvest literally hundreds of rooted seedlings from my potted mature plants every year. Except for “just playing around” (or to keep my hand in) I haven’t grown any plants from seed for many years. I no longer grow the species you mention, but I have observed the same results with those species (and many others) you list.
James