M. Karwinskiana vs Voburnensis

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Spikylover

M. Karwinskiana vs Voburnensis

Post by Spikylover »

Can someone please explain to me what's the difference between these 2? To me they look exactly alike. Thr only difference i see is dichotomous split vs pupping and a few more radials. Am i missing something?

Thanks,
Radials.
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria
Pompom

Re: M. Karwinskiana vs Voburnensis

Post by Pompom »

I checked the pictures of those two and noticed the tubercles are slightly different. Karwinskianas are more angular and voburnensis' more rounded. Also read articles about those two from llifle and it says the same. Voburnensis colour also varies more than karwinskianas according to llilfle, and can be green, red, orange, yellow, when karwinskiana is only different shades of green. Karwinskiana grows bigger than the other.
Notices you made are great way to seperate them from each other.
There's also differences in natural habitat but that is thing you can't tell only by looking the plant.
Spikylover

Post by Spikylover »

Pompom wrote:I checked the pictures of those two and noticed the tubercles are slightly different. Karwinskianas are more angular and voburnensis' more rounded. Also read articles about those two from llifle and it says the same. Voburnensis colour also varies more than karwinskianas according to llilfle, and can be green, red, orange, yellow, when karwinskiana is only different shades of green. Karwinskiana grows bigger than the other.
Notices you made are great way to seperate them from each other.
There's also differences in natural habitat but that is thing you can't tell only by looking the plant.
Wow i missed all those details. Thanks pompom!
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Maybe some pictures may help. :)

M. Voburnensis
M. Voburnensis
1.jpg (84.26 KiB) Viewed 400 times
M. Karwinskiana
M. Karwinskiana
2.jpg (132.55 KiB) Viewed 400 times