Short columnar species

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Spikylover

Short columnar species

Post by Spikylover »

Me and my mum are looking to grow some cacti from seed. We are in town for some small to medium sized basal branching cacti. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Rachel.
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria
ElieEstephane

Re: Short columnar species

Post by ElieEstephane »

Off the top of my head (and not all are basally branching), pachycereus marginatus, cleistocactus, haageocereus, Weberbauerocereus, oreocereus, espostoa, trichocereus, parodia leninghausii, Coleocephalocereus...
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

If you're located in the US, I can send you some seeds that are good ones to start with.

Send me a private message if you're interested.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Then there's always the ever-popular Mammillaria elongata. There are other Mamms that fit the criteria as well, such as Mammillaria mazatlanensis (which has very nice flowers). They all tend to become trailing plants eventually, as they lack the woody structure to support a tall stem.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

Also Arrojadoa, Arthrocereus, Austrocactus, Austrocylindropuntia, some of Echinocereus, Micranthocereus. But many of these are not easy to grow and not readily available.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8