Succulenta

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
SCS

Succulenta

Post by SCS »

Hi-

Can anyone be a member? From other countries aside from the Netherlands or Belgium?

Thanks!

Best regards, Lisa
Best regards, Lisa
Shoal Creek Succulents
stefan m.

Re: Succulenta

Post by stefan m. »

Can anyone be a member? From other countries aside from the Netherlands or Belgium?
A member of what????
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

A member of succulenta!
https://succulenta.nl

If I figured out the dutch properly, around 200 of its members are from belgium, and a further 100 members are from various other countries.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Hi Lisa,

Yes, I used to be a member of the Dutch Society Succulenta in the 1970's. Almost all cactus societies will accept foreign members, though it may cost you more (due to the foreign postage cost of sending you the journals) than a national member and you cannot always use all their facilities being abroad.

I am in the UK but am a member of the American Society as well as the British BCSS, who also have quite a few foreign members.

Cactus Mall lists most of the cactus clubs/societies in the world with their contact addresses, though it always contains a few dead links I find:-

http://www.cactus-mall.com/clubs.html

There seem to be two different types of organisations. Integrated societies like the British and Dutch where the society itself has local branches and the American type where the local clubs are separate entities and simply affiliated to the CSSA. As you can see from the link, even some Australian clubs are affiliated to the American society (CSSA).

Some societies even take PayPal now for subscriptions, so simplifying payment in foreign currencies.
SCS

Post by SCS »

Thanks for the replies! I will keep looking on the website. Usually if foreign members are allowed, there's a price.

On this link: https://succulenta.nl/lid-worden/, it only lists costs for Belgium and and the Netherlands.
Best regards, Lisa
Shoal Creek Succulents
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Everyone can be a member. The magazine is in Dutch, though, so it is aimed at members from the Netherlands, Suriname and the Vlaanderen region in Belgium. Price membership is the same for foreigners, but postal charges will be higher. Membership outside the Netherlands and Belgium but in Europe is 42.50 euro, outside Europe 47 euro (it is mentioned in the latest magazine that came out last Saturday).

Non members can also order seeds from the annual seed list (expected to be updated next Wednesday or Thursday). But members get first picking. So any oddities on the list will probably sold out if you are not a member. Sending seeds abroad should not be a problem.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Journal printing and postage costs are usually the main cost of all subscription societies, which is why some are going online now as it is a cheaper way to avoid printing and distribution costs..

If you want a free online journal most contain a list of all the others free ones available, along with subscription based societies, plus nurseries and seedsmen's adverts towards the end, as does the latest Cactus Explorer No. 20, pages 11-13

http://www.cactusexplorers.org.uk/journal6.htm
SCS

Post by SCS »

Thanks Aiko!

I was hoping you would notice this post. Yikes... 47 euros. Depending on what seeds are available, I still might join. That's the main attraction. Thx!!!!

@ DaveW-
Thank you for the info! Yes, for a long while I was a member of CSSA.... but I have let my membership lapse in the last couple of years. The Huntington ISI introductions used to be a big deal for me. The recent selections seemed commonly available so I re-purposed the ~$50 for seed money.

For the longest time, I bypassed growing from seed as I always thought it would take so long to grow a plant. Now I won't raise a cactus any other way. How wonderful to see the full spectrum of the plant's growth cycle. :D
Best regards, Lisa
Shoal Creek Succulents
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

SCS wrote: I was hoping you would notice this post. Yikes... 47 euros. Depending on what seeds are available, I still might join. That's the main attraction. Thx!!!!
The seed list is interesting, but to pay 20 euros over a more local member just to have precedence over non-members for the list might be a bit too much, I would think. Assuming you don't read the magazine at all, that 20 euro is better spend on seeds!

But... the 2019 seed list should be a spectacular one, as Succulenta is celebrating its 100 year birthday that year.