What is up with this?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

What is up with this?

Post by WayneByerly »

It's November and the temperatures have already dipped below freezing more than once this year. So what's up with this? Flowers? In November? All the bugs have already gone! What is supposed to pollinate these flowers? Why has this cactus (and all of the other cacti of mine that have chosen to do the same thing ... at least a half dozen of them) elected to flower at this late date?

Pictures taken and posted on 11/15/2017

Anybody have an explanation for this? Oh ... this is a Mammillaria geminispina v. nobilis BTW. It's a greenhouse occupant. At least, that is where it gets its mail.

From the side ...
062.49 20171115_153435.jpg
062.49 20171115_153435.jpg (116.89 KiB) Viewed 612 times
... the crown ... this should have show all the unopened flowers ... there are probably as many as there are opened flowers ... but they didn't show very well did they? Well, you can see a couple ... at about the two o'clock position ... better luck next pic ...
062.47 20171115_153342.jpg
062.47 20171115_153342.jpg (100.11 KiB) Viewed 612 times
... and last of all a view from the top. You CAN see some of the unopened flowers here. Again, about the two o'clock position ... and NOT well focused, eh? ...
062.48 20171115_153408.jpg
062.48 20171115_153408.jpg (63.04 KiB) Viewed 612 times
Please ... PLEASE ... Stay safe while driving people. It doesn't always matter what you are doing ... all it takes is one fool in a hurry to get somewhere, and NOT watching what he/she is doing, to ruin the rest of your life
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
toadstar

Re: What is up with this?

Post by toadstar »

WayneByerly wrote:What is supposed to pollinate these flowers?
You. Grab a Q-tip. :wink:
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I have several Mammillarias and one Pseudolitos miguirtinus with flowers and these plants are growing outside in Southern California. I even have some seed pods on some plants. The high is 70F and the low is 60F where I live, but the days are getting shorter. There are bees flying around and pollinating plants.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

I didn't even think about other environments... I just wondered why my cacti waited SO late in the year to flower. Thanx ever'one for your replies... I appreciate you taking the time out of your (probably busy) day to provide me with information regarding my curiosity...
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
TimN

Post by TimN »

Very nice plant! Many Mammillaria will flower in spring and fall. It's all about the photo period for some species. A fair number of Mamms are also self-fertile. The bud with the "innie" on the right looks like a pollinated flower.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

According to Llifle, "flowers are carmine in late spring and sometime in autumn too. " It's a native of central Mexico, a bit warmer there.
Spence :mrgreen:
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

Are you sure that plant isn't a mammillaria spinosissma 'un pico'. It doesnt look like gemispina nobilis at first glance.