saguaro growth

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
TimN

Re: saguaro growth

Post by TimN »

Not trying to be a dick, but I don't think that assertion is supported by the available evidence. Is there some information you have on "misshapen branches" on Saguaros? I was not able to find anything. Saguaros generally crest which is a much more organized mutation than whatever this is.

OP, can you share the location of this plant? If it's nearby to me, I'll go take a look in person.

Again, not trying to be an jerk, but I've never heard of or seen any sort of monstrose growth on a Saguaro other than cresting and gall-like growth.

I may be completely wrong....
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

TimN all monstose growth on cacti is caused by microorganism interference. Type of organism means type of monstrosity growth. Then there are genetics and other factors. Gall(on leaves) is caused by said microorganisms.And its usually on leafy plants . But the difference between yours and the one in this post is that your plant has more curved, more smooth structure, like a crested tricocereus,while the one in this post is rougher, sharp, angled, edgy like a lophocereus schotti monstose. So what you have labeled as gall, and whats in this post have the only thing in common is that theyre both mutations growing on the side of a carnegia gigantea. Their appearance however differs greatly, in therefore ill assume that the sickness in question is different(eg different bacteria).
It could be a different kind of gall .Could be something else.
And why i referred to your discovery as a misshapen branch, because its quite literally a mutant branch protruding off of a saguaro plant.
Briguytm

Post by Briguytm »

It was in the Tucson Mts in the gates pass area, don't have an exact location I was just out roaming around wasn't on a trail or anything.

On a side note found something in the Catalina's that I've never seen before. A Saguaro completely dead beside one arm.

photo hosting service
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

That is interesting! Although the base is not looking good (from this distance). I see another arm already lying on the ground. The decay looks to be of more recent time.
Nic

Post by Nic »

The arm will most likely perish since it does not seem to be receiving any nutrients, but this would be one of the few cases where I would be okay with collecting a saguaro, though the az government might not agree.
Not saying you should go take it though.
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You can't tell from that picture, there could be a strip of live tissue on that side that's feeding the arm.
Spence :mrgreen:
Nic

Post by Nic »

That is possible as well.
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

It only needs the vascular bundles to keep feeding the living part, even if all the stem flesh dies, as in Copiapoa decorticans where it is quite usual for the flesh on the old growth to die but the vascular bundles to remain alive and continuing to feed the living heads. Decortication = removal of the outer covering or part, which is how Copiapoa decorticans gets it's name. Not a plant for the show bench when mature, though OK as a small plant.

See pictures of C. decorticans in this link.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/damiano_sergi/random/
Briguytm

Post by Briguytm »

DaveW wrote:It only needs the vascular bundles to keep feeding the living part, even if all the stem flesh dies, as in Copiapoa decorticans where it is quite usual for the flesh on the old growth to die but the vascular bundles to remain alive and continuing to feed the living heads. Decortication = removal of the outer covering or part, which is how Copiapoa decorticans gets it's name. Not a plant for the show bench when mature, though OK as a small plant.

See pictures of C. decorticans in this link.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/damiano_sergi/random/
Reminds me of manzanita where the trunk and branches are completely dead beside the red strips of live tissue going to the growing parts.

At least that's what I think happens, I could be wrong.
7george

Post by 7george »

That outgrowth on 1st photos is rather ugly than interesting for me. Having in on my own plant I would try to cut it out and heal the wound of the normal plant.

A variegated saguaro is much more pleasant to see. Here is one I found in DBG area.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8