Astrophutym repotting advice

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
ElieEstephane

Astrophutym repotting advice

Post by ElieEstephane »

I got some A. Myriostigma in the usual clumped peat. With any other cactus it would not have been a problem for me. However, how do i repot them without disturbing and rubbing off the trichomes (flocking)? :-k has anyone had experience with this or has any special tricks to try? A friend suggested pulling them off by the "neck" of the tap root and only leaving the tap root to reduce risk of root rot.
Any advice or trick is welcome!
Thank you.
Last edited by ElieEstephane on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
7george

Re: Astrophutym repotting advice

Post by 7george »

Root rot is possible if the damaged root is kept at wet space soon after the re-potting manipulation. If your small cacti are already indoors, dry and so they will be till the spring you don't risk much. That Astro even can be kept bare-rooted the whole winter and watched.

At the other hand it is said Astrophytums badly take soil change, some growers advise just to transfer those into bigger pot without disturbing the roots, as people do this in the commercial greenhouses. But you need to get rid of the peat.

So I'd just try to remove gently those chunks of peat that contain no roots and leave that binded to roots. Use an wood stick, not a metal one.
Good luck!
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ElieEstephane

Re: Astrophutym repotting advice

Post by ElieEstephane »

Thanks george. I actually have another myriostigma i got in april. I repotted immediately in a mostly mineral mix and it took soil change quite well and the root system is very healthy. However that one was in a 2 inch pot so it's very easy to handle and remove the peat with water pressure. The ones i got lately are in a deep 6 inch pot so it's gonna be messy. If i were to keep them in peat, the pot is way too big to grow them free of trouble.
I guess i'll make sure the pot is very dry for now and deal with this problem in spring.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: