Opuntia Ficus Indica questions

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Spikylover

Opuntia Ficus Indica questions

Post by Spikylover »

I got some large pad cuttings a couple of years back and now they're almost as tall as me (5'6"). I didnt expect any flowers first year but i didn't get flower the second year either even in full sun. So my questions are:
1. Is it because they are in pots and not in the ground that they are not flowering?
2. One reason i can think of for lack of flowers is that they were left out in the rain all winter and we do have quite a rainy winter. Maybe they should be bone dry all winter to get that "im not getting water im gonna die so i might as well flower to conserve the lineage" factor. Could that be it?
Thanks

Rachel.
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria
7george

Re: Opuntia Ficus Indica questions

Post by 7george »

Opuntias will not die from being kept dry all winter. The plant may drop some pads if being kept dry at full sun and dry for whole summer.

You can try some fertilizing, esp. phosphate-rich solutions.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

I'd go with #2. Many cacti need a cool, dry dormant period during the winter in order to encourage flowering.
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

How much sun are they getting? Also, I don't know where you are , but maybe you should consider putting them in the ground. O.ficus indica grow big and fast, and have a large root system, and keeping them in pots will really cramp their roots.
Neal
Spikylover

Post by Spikylover »

Thanks for your answers!
They are all in full sun. In fact, i use thrm to shade my other cacti.
I thought being rootbound will stress the plants and lead the to flower like holiday cacti.
Anyways, im gonna avoid the winter rains and upsize the pots.
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria