Armatocereus from seeds

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
ElieEstephane

Armatocereus from seeds

Post by ElieEstephane »

I've always liked armarocereus species and im finally thinking about starting a batch of seeds but first i have a few questions.
Has anyone tried them from seeds? Are they easy to germinate?
Are they easy to grow or are they finnicky?
What are the most ornamental species? Im looking at armatocereus matucanensis or mataranus or laetus.
Any other comments?
Thank you
Last edited by ElieEstephane on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DaveW

Re: Armatocereus from seeds

Post by DaveW »

They are pretty large Cerei when mature and you probably would have to wait many years to see them flower from seed. Not really a greenhouse plant unless you have a large greenhouse, but if you can grow them bedded in outside all year in open ground they could be grown as an ornamental.

http://www.agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=841

They are a genus with determinate growth, looking like a vertical string of sausages where there is a constriction in the stem after every growth period, which is quite normal. This is not necessarily yearly but a period of growth where water and conditions are conducive to growth, stopping again in periods of drought or out of their growing season.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

DaveW wrote:They are pretty large Cerei when mature and you probably would have to wait many years to see them flower from seed. Not really a greenhouse plant unless you have a large greenhouse, but if you can grow them bedded in outside all year in open ground they could be grown as an ornamental.

http://www.agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=841

They are a genus with determinate growth, looking like a vertical string of sausages where there is a constriction in the stem after every growth period, which is quite normal. This is not necessarily yearly but a period of growth where water and conditions are conducive to growth, stopping again in periods of drought or out of their growing season.
Well fortunately i have space and i have all the time. The thing is i'm planning my cacti for 10 years from now.
As for the determinate growth, that's what got me into them :D
But my question remains, are they finicky? Or they're easy to grow as other cerei?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

Armatocereus germinate well, but may take a few days or weeks, and grow fast initially from seed. Fairly tolerant in terms of watering and low temperatures when dry.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

mdpillet wrote:Armatocereus germinate well, but may take a few days or weeks, and grow fast initially from seed. Fairly tolerant in terms of watering and low temperatures when dry.
Thats exactly what i wanted to hear! Thanks!
xturmin8or

Post by xturmin8or »

I have about 4 species of Armatocereus, and there are no difficulties.
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!!" Patches O'Hoolihan
Adrian
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

What about browningia and neoraimondia?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

xturmin8or wrote:I have about 4 species of Armatocereus, and there are no difficulties.
Thanks!
xturmin8or

Post by xturmin8or »

I've got 1browningia candelaris and browningia hertlingianus and they aren't too difficult either. Just be wary of overwatering
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!!" Patches O'Hoolihan
Adrian
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Thanks.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Thanks.