Desperate rooting!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
ElieEstephane

Desperate rooting!

Post by ElieEstephane »

After refusing to root for more than 5 months and shrinking to 25% its original size, my parodia warasii cutting rooted. After trying everything with no success, i put it in a moist clear plastic bag and put in the shade and here's the result! So many new roots! First i thought it was mould though.
I hope you find this helpful.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
rsales3

Re: Desperate rooting!

Post by rsales3 »

Good job! and great patience.
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

That's a cool idea.
So I've tried it, with a slight twist.
Took a plastic ice tea bottle cut in half and set a struggling rootless cut of a rare Espostoa in it. Have it resting on the little coned bottom, with just a few drops of water in the rim below. Made sure the plant was washed and mostly dry and sprayed for bugs.
Sealed the cut bottle with tape and put it in shade.
We'll see.
Your method is similar to my graft incubation method. I'll put a small potted mytillocactus stock with a scion held on with rubber bands into a ziplock bag to keep it moist for a few days.
About day 4-5, I'll unzip the bag to allow fresh air in. I have seen Mold start soon after that time frame, being very moist, so I worry about that potential issue. But I assume the cut is well healed over so that may not be so much an issue as fresh graft cuts. Even still furry stuff grows on the spines frequently in just a couple of days. It needs to be watched.
Consider me a control group test.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

DWDogwood wrote:That's a cool idea.
So I've tried it, with a slight twist.
Took a plastic ice tea bottle cut in half and set a struggling rootless cut of a rare Espostoa in it. Have it resting on the little coned bottom, with just a few drops of water in the rim below. Made sure the plant was washed and mostly dry and sprayed for bugs.
Sealed the cut bottle with tape and put it in shade.
We'll see.
Your method is similar to my graft incubation method. I'll put a small potted mytillocactus stock with a scion held on with rubber bands into a ziplock bag to keep it moist for a few days.
About day 4-5, I'll unzip the bag to allow fresh air in. I have seen Mold start soon after that time frame, being very moist, so I worry about that potential issue. But I assume the cut is well healed over so that may not be so much an issue as fresh graft cuts. Even still furry stuff grows on the spines frequently in just a couple of days. It needs to be watched.
Consider me a control group test.
That's very cool!! Thanks for your input.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: