Degrafting Yavia

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Fatich

Degrafting Yavia

Post by Fatich »

I have 2 Yavia cryptocarpa and want to degraft the big one. Anyone experienced with Yavia before ?

DaveW

Re: Degrafting Yavia

Post by DaveW »

Not tried it with Yavia, but the usual recommendation is not to cut it off at the graft union but a couple of centimeters above and leave a bit of the scion on the stock since the vascular bundles at the union are more lignified and don't root too well. It also is a safety measure as if the de-grafted scion does not root and perishes the piece left on the stock usually sends out new offsets that can be either de-grafted or re-grafted later.

My own grafted Yavia flowered and apparently produced sterile fruit, but then inexplicably it shrivelled and dried on the stock, even though the stock was still healthy. I can only think it must have been differential shrinkage of scion and stock breaking the union in winter. Mammillaria luethyi is another where the scion occasionally shrivels on a healthy stock with me. Anyway good luck, this was mine before it dried up on me an died.
Yavia cryptocarpa.jpg
Yavia cryptocarpa.jpg (91.5 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Yavia-Fruit.jpg
Yavia-Fruit.jpg (95.78 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Unfortunately Yavia's do tend to grow larger and out of character on a graft. Here is a picture from a friend of one in habitat.
yaviahabitat.jpg
yaviahabitat.jpg (113.05 KiB) Viewed 990 times
Fatich

Post by Fatich »

Thanks for the reply, i will take the risk and will cut as you suggested. It will be an experience.
I dont like bloating plants when they are grafted thats why i want to degraft it.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Would it not be better to use this graft to get seeds if you have a second plants, and grow the offspring as ungrafted seedlings? You will probably have a higher chance of keeping them on their own roots in this way. I do have a small seedling, a few years old. It grow quite slowly, though, not faster than a Geohintonia, at least for me.
Fatich

Post by Fatich »

I bought 4 more grafted Yavia, if i degraft this one i will still have 5 grafted plants.
Hope i can get seeds.
Is there any trick to get seeds -blossom- from this plants or they are like the other cacti species?
C And D

Post by C And D »

There is no problem with de-grafting Yavia, I've done it many times, mostly I cut off pups that grow once the grafted plant gets bigger.

The problem is rooting them, which I have failed on every time.
The plant will start to grow roots, but once those roots hit my soil, the plant will rot away.
I kept some alive for months just sitting on top of the soil.

I tried rooting some last month, dead in 1 week.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry