Anybody know what these are?!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
apoplast

Anybody know what these are?!

Post by apoplast »

So, I was browsing plants and I ran into the "Living Desert Jewel Cactus®". Okay the "®" was my inclusion, but I suspect not inaccurate. Does anyone know what these are? I know that the "Neon Moon Cactus" is an achlorotic clone of Gymnocalycium mihanovichii grafted onto, usually, Hylocerus undatus stock. But, I have no idea what these "jewels" are. Anyone?
"If you are not killing plants, you are not really stretching yourself as a gardener."
-- J.C. Raulston, horticulturist, founder of the J.C. Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, N.C.
toadstar

Re: Anybody know what these are?!

Post by toadstar »

They're just regular cacti that have been dipped in a vat of dye to color the spines. Any new growth won't have those colors.

See also:
http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33503
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32786
apoplast

Re: Anybody know what these are?!

Post by apoplast »

Disappointing! I'd hoped they had genetically engineered them like GloFish. But paint, that's just tacky. #-o
"If you are not killing plants, you are not really stretching yourself as a gardener."
-- J.C. Raulston, horticulturist, founder of the J.C. Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, N.C.