Aquarium garden project.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Wharf Rat

Aquarium garden project.

Post by Wharf Rat »

As the title says Im looking into a 30 gallon aquarium cacti / succulent project. Not sure if this is the dorrcet place to post this and apologize in advance if its not.
I have my design idea, for the most part, but need help with how to substrate the tank. I wont be keeping any expensive or oddball specimens to start off. Right now I have a small pot outside with a Hawthornes Aloe, A flowering Hens and Chicks and some branchy thing my neighbor gave me. She told me to just shove it in the dirt and it'll grow and grow it does. Its doubled in size since she gave it to me. I also live in the middle of the Sonora desert basin between Tuscon and Phoenix. I look forward to posting pics of my project as I make progress and to pick your brains about this hobby.
WR
mikej

Re: Aquarium garden project.

Post by mikej »

Welcome! This seems like a good place for your post to me. :) I don't want to discourage you, but most succulents (including most cacti) do better if they're not enclosed: tanks, terrariums, etc. trap humid air around the plants, which makes them more susceptible to rotting. Drainage is also usually an issue: succulents nearly all want very good drainage, which an aquarium won't give you unless you drill a bunch of holes in it. :) However, there are other plants you could grow in it that will like the more humid air, and succulents can do quite well indoors in more suitable containers.