Very early start

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
fanaticactus

Very early start

Post by fanaticactus »

I know several Mamms. don't need a long winter's rest. These two are currently in bloom in the greenhouse, which has seen an extremely wide fluctuation in temperature since November. There is a small heater in there which I crank up to protect them during those nights of single numbers and below. None of them has received any water since late September. The M. hahniana is easily recognizable, but the other two small ones (both the same genus) I have not been able to ID for two seasons. They are very small (think roughly nickel-size) but very free-flowering and do not produce fruit/seed pods. If you happen to know what they are, feel free to let me know. Otherwise, I'll just enjoy their many large flowers on their tiny bodies. There are a few more (and not just Mamms.) that are just beginning to form buds, but I'll save those as surprises.
DSC06691.JPG
DSC06691.JPG (153.23 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
DSC06693.JPG
DSC06693.JPG (137.5 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
DSC06694.JPG
DSC06694.JPG (131.58 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
7george

Re: Very early start

Post by 7george »

M. picta ?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thank you, 7george. I've looked at several descriptions of 'picta' and they seem to describe it very closely. But some pictures I've seen show it with red seed pods (like the 'prolifera'); I've had mine 2-3 years and they've not yet produced pods after the flowers. Do only some produce them?
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

M. prolifera self-pollinates, but not all Mamms do - you could try hand-pollinating them.
Spence :mrgreen: