File size?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
fanaticactus

File size?

Post by fanaticactus »

I notice the new look of the Forum, but I have a question about posting photos. I've never had a problem in the past, but I have eight cacti I want to submit for IDs. When I tried to post the first photo, an error msg came up that the file was too large. I'm using the same camera I've always used with the same settings. I seem to recall that there had been a problem with the space available to post all pictures that are submitted.

Can someone tell me what changes I have to make to be able to post pictures now on the Forum? If I have to reduce the 'size' of the file, is the only way to do that by reducing the resolution on the camera itself? Thanks.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
DaveW

Re: File size?

Post by DaveW »

No you need to reduce the size of the picture in post processing.

You can even resize using Windows if you do not have any post processing software.

https://www.digitalunite.com/guides/dig ... ize-photos

There was a problem previously since it said any file size was too large if using the uploader, but I thought that had been solved? Generally files straight out of todays cameras are far too large for web use without resizing. There is no point in trying to put images from todays high megapixel cameras straight on the web thinking you will get better resolution, because a computer screen only has the resolution of around a 4 megapixel camera. Therefore even if you could upload an image direct from a 36 Megapixel Pro camera 4 megapixels resolution is all you will see, since as the old saying goes "a chain is only as strong as the weakest link" and at the moment the "weak link" is the device you view the images on which are way behind camera resolutions.

See:-

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=25028

A quote from the above link:-

"NOTE: The forum will resize images to 800 pixels when you upload. This will reduce the dimensions of larger images as well as the file size. However, if your camera takes really large images, (such as 4320 x 3240 14MB), these images will need to be reduced on you computer before you can upload them. Most people will already have a program that can do this, such as "Microsoft Office Picture Manager", "Picasa", or software that came with the camera. In addition, there are free utilities on the web that can do this such as "Infanview" http://www.irfanview.com/ which many have used with ease and success."

Just tried to attach an image of 338KB and it loaded OK. I see it has reduced it to 81.03KB
Attachments
0026.jpg
0026.jpg (81.03 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

What is the suggested size of a photo to be submitted, in terms of KB and/or pixels? A typical photo of mine is about 1700x1440 pixels and 1.0MB. I use Picasa 3 as my post-processor.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

fanaticactus wrote:What is the suggested size of a photo to be submitted, in terms of KB and/or pixels? A typical photo of mine is about 1700x1440 pixels and 1.0MB. I use Picasa 3 as my post-processor.
I've found that a maximum of 1200x800 works best, and the file size difference between hi-res and "dumbed-down" images is pretty dramatic. For example -- I use my Canon Rebel set to 3888x2592, file size 5.54 MB. Resized to 1200x800, the image is 630 KB.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Cropping the photo to remove extraneous background is also a good idea.
Spence :mrgreen:
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thank you, Steve and Spence. I always do crop the photos because I don't like any distractions. As for the size suggestions, I'll give it a try. I have a Sony DSC-H7. It's fairly old by now but takes great pictures.
7george

Post by 7george »

SAM_2124X.JPG
SAM_2124X.JPG (131.43 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
Looks like the file you submit should be below 500 KB, so maybe 1200 px wide is the maximum. I use Linux Mint in recent times where a program named "Pix" can be found, it works great for cropping, resizing, sharpening or so.

The result here - (131.43 KiB), whatever it means is done by the forum. My file was 455 KB in size.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Pix is new for Linux Mint 18, if you're using an earlier version it's gThumb (which Pix is based on). The GIMP is also included, which can do more things but may be overkill for this.
Spence :mrgreen:
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Really frustrated here. The Picasa program, which I've been using for years, is no longer. It was taken over by Google Photos, and their site must still be under construction; it's terrible. There was no way to ask a question about how to change size except by leaving a message under "Feedback", which I did. No answer. They don't even say where they would send a response. I assume it would be my gmail account, but there's nothing there. I tried all the drop down menus on Picasa and found nothing that would help resize. I'm just about to give up. Has anyone else used Picasa? Are there any recommendations for a site where I could forward my photos for storage that also have a photo processing app? I'd like one without a fee.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

fanaticactus wrote:Really frustrated here. The Picasa program, which I've been using for years, is no longer. It was taken over by Google Photos, and their site must still be under construction; it's terrible. There was no way to ask a question about how to change size except by leaving a message under "Feedback", which I did. No answer. They don't even say where they would send a response. I assume it would be my gmail account, but there's nothing there. I tried all the drop down menus on Picasa and found nothing that would help resize. I'm just about to give up. Has anyone else used Picasa? Are there any recommendations for a site where I could forward my photos for storage that also have a photo processing app? I'd like one without a fee.
I hate Google, and I'm by no means the only one who feels that way -- sorry they bolloxed up Picasa. If you can't get Photoshop, check out Fotor:

http://www.fotor.com/

Haven't tried it myself, but this may be perfect for you.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

If you use a smart phone or tablet go to play apps store and download "photo editor" it's free and good. You can crop and fit to size easily it has a 800 setting in the fit options which is perfect for the forum. There are adverts but not intrusive and easily ignored.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thank you for this possibility. My phone has acceptable photo quality and capabilities, but it's not great. I still like to use my Sony SLR and my laptop, which is much like a tablet for my photo storage and processing. But this does me another avenue to explore. I'm in the process of looking at a number of recommended sites. I hope all this will have an easy solution.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

For the sake of expediency and so I wouldn't have to decide on a new photo hosting/processing site immediately, I decided it was much simpler and faster to reduce the size of the files on the camera itself and rephotograph. The post is in the ID section entitled 'New Winter Purchases'. The quality of the photos didn't suffer much at all. All my future photos for this site will be taken with the setting for the smaller file size. I can easily switch it back to a larger file for all other purposes.
Arcturus

Post by Arcturus »

fanaticactus wrote:Really frustrated here. The Picasa program, which I've been using for years, is no longer. It was taken over by Google Photos, and their site must still be under construction; it's terrible. There was no way to ask a question about how to change size except by leaving a message under "Feedback", which I did. No answer. They don't even say where they would send a response. I assume it would be my gmail account, but there's nothing there. I tried all the drop down menus on Picasa and found nothing that would help resize. I'm just about to give up. Has anyone else used Picasa? Are there any recommendations for a site where I could forward my photos for storage that also have a photo processing app? I'd like one without a fee.
Windows 10 users can use Microsoft Office Picture Manager. This software is free and part of the Windows 10 package by default.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thanks, Arcturus. I will be getting a new laptop with Windows 10, so that may be a possibility. Does it have unlimited storage and the ability to edit photos (crop, straighten, sharpen, darken & lighten, etc.?) In the meantime I made the adjustment to the file size on both of my cameras. It was far easier.