Grafted cactus discolouration - Help Please!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Pa5cale

Grafted cactus discolouration - Help Please!

Post by Pa5cale »

Hi!
I've been keeping cacti for a few years now and have never had any trouble, but in the past week or so one of my grafted cacti, which I've had for about two years, has started to become discoloured, the cactus on the bottom turning yellow and the part on top shrivelling and going brown. I brought it to university with me in October, and it has been fine up until now. Here it has been getting more sunlight than it used to get, (its on an east facing window so it isn't in full sun all day) and the room has been kept warmer than it is used to. I had a look at the roots and there are what look like some white fluff balls growing on the soil at the base of the pot (I assume this is some type of fungus but don't know if it's harmful). I've attached some photos so you can see what it looks like, as well as one of it before it started to look ill. Does anyone have any suggestions of what could be wrong with it and how I can save it? I'd be really grateful of any help!
Thanks!
received_1271847389541623.jpeg
received_1271847389541623.jpeg (68.44 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Drawing2.jpg
Drawing2.jpg (244.08 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Drawing3.jpg
Drawing3.jpg (267.14 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Drawing1.jpg
Drawing1.jpg (222.19 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Drawing4.jpg
Drawing4.jpg (249.02 KiB) Viewed 723 times
greenknight

Re: Grafted cactus discolouration - Help Please!

Post by greenknight »

Looks like root mealybugs. http://www.cactiguide.com/cactipests/#mealybugs

Other possible control strategies are discussed here - http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... gs#p328007

Search the forums and you'll find lots more. Check all your cacti, the young mealies are mobile, almost microscopic crawlers - likely the plants around it are infested as well.
Spence :mrgreen:
Pa5cale

Re: Grafted cactus discolouration - Help Please!

Post by Pa5cale »

Thank you!