Problem uploading images to the new board.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DaveW

Problem uploading images to the new board.

Post by DaveW »

Tried to attach an image on the new board as I have previously done and it shows the image size I am trying to upload as 345 KB, however it then gives a message the file is too large as the maximum file size is 500 KiB. Anybody sort it out?
7george

Re: Problem uploading images to the new board.

Post by 7george »

No. I quit trying that getting same results. I post links to images uploaded to other sites.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Nic

Post by Nic »

The most I've got is maybe 150 or so KB.
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
mikej

Post by mikej »

I did some looking, and found the problem. The board recompresses images you upload, and it limits you based on the size after recompressing, not the original upload size. However, the default quality level is set to 100 (the highest), so it actually makes your images bigger!

(For instance, the original image in my post here was 140 KiB, and that's what showed up in the upload bar...but as you can clearly see, the board made it larger, 498 KiB instead. If the image was even one pixel taller, it triggered the error message, despite the original being only 141 KiB...the recompressed size was never displayed anywhere. The amount of "expansion" will change depending on the source image; I found an image that could be 300+ KiB when uploaded, and still end up under the 500 KiB limit. So, unfortunately, you just have to try resizing each image you want to upload a bunch of times before finding where the limit is.)

I found this phpBB bug describing this exact issue. The fix changes the quality setting from 100 to 85, which will help, but not totally solve the issue. It was only barely fixed (December 18th). If someone with access to the source PHP files wants to fix this, the change is trivial (see here), or they could upgrade again :D.

Or, I guess just people can just upload the images somewhere else and embed them here...but that means that more than likely if someone finds your post a couple years from now the images will be broken. :? I hate when I run across old posts here and all the images are gone!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Thanks Mike. I think Tony Mace (Cactus Mall) hosts the board so will pass it on to him.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I made the changes that Mike found above. Give this another try.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
mikej

Post by mikej »

That seems to work quite nicely! It makes the images I tried take less space after processing (instead of more). I think most (all?) images should stay under the limit if the original image is under it, and it should help save some space on your servers too. :) Thanks so much for fixing this!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

test:
IMG_9625-2.jpg
IMG_9625-2.jpg (84.77 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
Attachments
IMG_9644-2.jpg
IMG_9644-2.jpg (126.12 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti