Cactus soil mix supply help

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
SageOfSilence

Cactus soil mix supply help

Post by SageOfSilence »

Where does everyone here get their cactus soil mix ingredients from like pumice, quality sand, pea gravel etc etc from in bulk?

Can't keep paying $8 for 4 dry quarts of mix! And I plan on getting all my plants out of peat based mixes this spring/summer too. So I'll need a lot of mix to go around.

Also can anyone direct me to a good resource/thread for creating a good cactus compost mix?

Thank you!
SageOfSilence

Re: Cactus soil mix supply help

Post by SageOfSilence »

If a mod/admin moved this to the Cultivation section that would be okay. I'm new here ;)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

See if feed stores in your area carry Dry Stall, which is pumice granules sold for horse bedding, comes in 40 lb bags (not Stall Dry, different product). By the way, what is your area? Best if you provide that in your profile, it helps for providing cultivation advice.

Nobody cares that much if you post in the wrong forum, don't worry about it. Mods won't bother with it.
Spence :mrgreen:
SageOfSilence

Post by SageOfSilence »

Okay that's a good start thank you! Sorry central midwest US. Specifically Nebraska. I should probably fill out my profile if i'm gonna be a regular here.

Oh and any specific prep use for Dry Stall? washing, sifting etc?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

SageOfSilence wrote:Okay that's a good start thank you! Sorry central midwest US. Specifically Nebraska. I should probably fill out my profile if i'm gonna be a regular here.

Oh and any specific prep use for Dry Stall? washing, sifting etc?
I grow the vast majority of my cacti in a pumice-granite gravel mix, and I've found that thorough rinsing before use is a requirement so you don't have mineral dust clogging up the works in terms of good, open aeration. You could go completely soil-less, although it depends on the humidity in your climate during spring and summer. If your summers tend to be dry (roughly 15-30% RH), you may need soil in the mix for proper moisture retention.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
SageOfSilence

Post by SageOfSilence »

Humidity here during the summer is around 50-70% I believe. I just want to get rid of all these peat based mixes that my cacti are in. My Cereus Tetragonus and P. Rubellihamata seem to enjoy it but not my Aloe Vera or Noto. Scholesseri. So I may just go completely soil-less this coming spring. I just have to find a cost effective way of doing it.
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

I live in New England, and the only place I can find pumice is ebay. Shipping in kind of ridiculous, but my only other option is nothing.

It seems that if you don't live in a volcanic region, pumice is pretty difficult to find.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I also found this place - https://www.greenplanetnaturals.com/col ... 7035146435

Their price is high but the shipping is free. Their 15 quart size is $25.99, which works out to less than $1.75 a quart - better that what you've been paying for mix. Not a lot better, but it's something.
C And D

Post by C And D »

Check out Garden or Landscaping Supply Stores.

We have this place in Los Angeles called Whittier Fertilizer that sells pumice, dry stall, sand, DG, and 8 kinds of soil mixes at low prices and large quantities.
And the supplier in Orange County is called Orange County Farm Supply.

It's hard to answer anyone's question without knowing their location, you may live in Greenland for all we know, and I'm sure it would be hard to get pumice in Greenland.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
SageOfSilence

Post by SageOfSilence »

C And D wrote:Check out Garden or Landscaping Supply Stores.

We have this place in Los Angeles called Whittier Fertilizer that sells pumice, dry stall, sand, DG, and 8 kinds of soil mixes at low prices and large quantities.
And the supplier in Orange County is called Orange County Farm Supply.

It's hard to answer anyone's question without knowing their location, you may live in Greenland for all we know, and I'm sure it would be hard to get pumice in Greenland.
Ill have to check a few places around here. Most of the garden supply centers are pretty expensive and don't have much for bulk outside perlite, vermiculite, and top soil.

I couldn't find the location part yesterday when I went to fill out my profile.But I found it now and fixed it. I'm from Central Nebraska
SageOfSilence

Post by SageOfSilence »

greenknight wrote:I also found this place - https://www.greenplanetnaturals.com/col ... 7035146435

Their price is high but the shipping is free. Their 15 quart size is $25.99, which works out to less than $1.75 a quart - better that what you've been paying for mix. Not a lot better, but it's something.
Thanks Greenknight! ill check it out. If its quality stuff might grab some.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

I use quite a bit of perlite for my cacti.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

SageOfSilence wrote:
Thanks Greenknight! ill check it out. If its quality stuff might grab some.
I bought some - just the 8 quart size. It was good quality, no debris - an occasional bit of lava rock but not a significant amount. Still looking for a cheaper source.
SageOfSilence

Post by SageOfSilence »

toadstar wrote:I use quite a bit of perlite for my cacti.

I've been using the miracle gro perlite and it seems to do its job well enough.
lzele

Post by lzele »

try hydroponic suppliers, they may carry it.