Locality Info for OST 84273 (Corryocactus squarrosus)

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Minime8484

Locality Info for OST 84273 (Corryocactus squarrosus)

Post by Minime8484 »

Hi all!
I've grown plants from the seed collection labeled Corryocactus squarrosus OST 84273 that I received from the ADBLPS list a few years ago. However, the list didn't include the locality info from the collection, just the collection number.

I cannot seem to locate the locality for this collection anywhere. I know this is one of Carlos Ostolaza's collections from Peru, but this specific collection number doesn't seem to be referenced in any of the C&S Collection # websites I checked, nor does Carlos mention this collection in his Todos los Cactus de Peru (2014).

Anyone have detailed info on this collection locality?
Better yet, is there any online source for all of Carlos' collections?

Thanks in advance - and Happy Holidays!
Cheers,
Tristan
DaveW

Re: Locality Info for OST 84273 (Corryocactus squarrosus)

Post by DaveW »

Can't find any information other than his online book you mention. Best way would be to email or write to him if you can find his email or address on the Web. It may also be in the BCSS or American Journals, or their yearbooks too on some of his articles.
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

I don't mean to go off topic, but I too also have some questionable locality info.

I obtained a Haagespostoa albisetatus CF 763 from the Huntington Botanical Gardens in 2012. The label says the seeds were collected in Eulalia, Peru at an elevation of 1000 m. However, CF 763 doesn't show up on any of the type locality websites I visited, and neither are the initials "CF" listed in the directories.

Who could "CF" stand for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Easiest way is to email Huntington and ask. They will probably have the details in their records. I once did that with a plant of Paul Hutchison's I wanted details on and they looked up their records for me. You should find their contact address/email on the Web if you Google for it. Sometimes the odd cactus is collected by a collector normally collecting other types of plants, therefore will not be in the normal cactus collection number lists.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

John Trager is a curator at the Huntington's Desert collection. If he can't provide you with the info himself, I'm sure he'll pass your inquiry along to someone who can. His email is jtrager@huntington.org.

Best of luck and happy New Year!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)