question regarding a project

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Arjen

question regarding a project

Post by Arjen »

for a project for succulenta (the dutch cactus society) I'm working on, I am looking for lists of plants native to europe and africa
to be clear I mean separate lists for both continents
in europe I of course know about sempervivum and sedum, I'm primarily looking for some lesser known genuses
maybe there is an expert here who can provide me with the needed information

pictures are very welcome as well

thanks in advance!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Aiko

Re: question regarding a project

Post by Aiko »

Carpobrotus edulis probably can be on that list. Although I am not sure about its degree of nativeness.

I know Honckenya peploides grows along the Dutch shore. Have not found it myself yet. But probably is more anything else but a succulent.
iann

Post by iann »

Canary Islands? There's all sorts of endemic succulents: Euphorbias, Aichryson, Greenovia, Aeoniums. There's also at least two naturalised Opuntias. Mesembryanthemum cristalinum is widespread In Spain although I don't know if you'd call it native.
--ian
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I believe the Navelwort is often considered a British Succulent plant, even if not a xerophyte.

http://www.first-nature.com/flowers/umb ... estris.php

http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/ ... elwort.htm
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

And how about Spergularia rupicola (sea spurrey), which is a native along the British coast.
iann

Post by iann »

We have a uprising number of succulent natives, but not many xeric ones if you exclude the invaders like Disphyma and Carpobrotus.
--ian
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

hello, thank you for your replies.
to my shame I have to admit that I missed these.
the project is on ice for the moment, your suggestions have however been noted
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)