Have you had success ordering plants from outside your country?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
zagoric

Have you had success ordering plants from outside your country?

Post by zagoric »

Specifically, I'm considering ordering from Czech Republic, Hungary, China, and Thailand into the US (California).

The sellers say they can't provide CITES papers or Phytosanitary certificates.

I'd rather not pay a lot of money for rare plants only to have them confiscated by customs.
adetheproducer

Re: Have you had success ordering plants from outside your country?

Post by adetheproducer »

If you are in the eu it's fine. I have ordered many through ebay from Czech sellers and all have been delivered.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Zagoric is not in the EU though, which is unique in that it is treated as a single country for CITES. The problem with CITES is the cost of the paperwork to cross borders for plants, even if you can get it. No doubt an American collector can enlighten you if your regs are less strict than the EU's.

As you can see from the link below, if we in the UK want to export or import plants from outside the EU Britain has some of the most expensive CITES certificates in the world at £75 ($91.34) per genus and of course amateurs don't usually buy an order comprising just a single genus, therefore that's another £75 for every different genus in the order. Obviously the certificates can't cost that much to produce, therefore are really designed to kill off any trade in CITES plants, cultivated or not. This has killed off the UK commercial cactus trade exporting outside the EU, let alone amateurs doing so.

Maybe to export and import to America will be cheaper, but as the link says you need the CITES paperwork to even bring these plants in from Canada to America in your car. You may also need an import licence from the US authorities to bring them into the country as well, you do in the UK. Luckily such restrictions don't usually apply to seed which travels freely over borders, only to plants.

http://www.rareplants.co.uk/faqs/cites/
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

zagoric wrote:Specifically, I'm considering ordering from Czech Republic, Hungary, China, and Thailand into the US (California).

The sellers say they can't provide CITES papers or Phytosanitary certificates.

I'd rather not pay a lot of money for rare plants only to have them confiscated by customs.
Nope, don't even try -- without the proper paperwork, your plants will be mostly likely be confiscated either by Customs or USDA inspectors.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I have ordered from Thailand and I had the paper work. I received the order and it was inspected. So have the paper work.
george76904

Post by george76904 »

I have placed a few overseas orders without proper documentation and it is a gamble all but one actually made it through but the one that didn't was confiscated and destroyed. So pick your sellers carefully. I can give you some recommendations if you want to pm me.
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

The odds are not in your favor, especially China and Thailand imo because almost always those will get opened.
Can't comment on the other countries but if they are cites plants, especially cities I , consider getting the paperwork done or buying elsewhere.
zagoric

Post by zagoric »

If the seller can provide CITES papers and Phytosanitary certificates, do I need CITIES paperwork on my end as well?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

If I have read the following correctly you only need an import permit for Apendix I species.

https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/f ... s-2013.pdf

Here is a list of CITES listed Cacti and Other Succulents. Not sure how up to date it is though.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... _cites.htm
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

The process for obtaining import permits from the USDA is fairly easy. You can apply online, then visit one of the many local USDA offices to verify your ID before an electronic (PDF) permit is generated and made available to you.

The proper process for import into the US is:
- The delivering nursery needs to provide a valid CITES permit and a Phytosanitary Permit (NOTE: most delivering nurseries do NOT realize that the USDA now requires a stipulation within the Phyto permit that covers nematodes...often, all arrive, then get rejected because of this lack of a nematode clause)
- Apply for and receive an Import Permit from the USDA (APHIS) (you do this by first setting up an online acct on their website); once you receive the electronic (PDF) permit, they will mail you a set of Green Labels with the address of the USDA Inspection Station you indicate in your Permit (for me in AZ, the closest is in Nogales, AZ).
- When you place your order, request both permits from the nursery (will cost you for both); but, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, you must explain to them that you will send the Label to them directly (Green Label you've received from the USDA) that they must use as the OUTSIDE label on the box of plants. They should include the Label to YOU *inside* the box!
- They should then mail the plants directly to the USDA office (Green Label you sent them) with their label with your address INSIDE the box. Your Import Permit should be affixed to the outside of the box (you can usually email the PDF to the nursery for inclusion with the box).
- When the USDA office receives your package, they will open it, inspect, and process.
- If your plants pass inspection, they will re-pack the box and using the label provided with your address, will mail it to you. NOTE: If you do not work with them on how to charge you for the shipping from the USDA office to your home, they will contact you at the number on your Import Permit. I call the USDA office and provide them my FedEx # ahead of time that they can use, so as soon as they pass inspection, my plants go in the mail to me immediately without delay.

Now...that is how it is SUPPOSED to work...but, I've had the nurseries put BOTH the USDA label AND the label to my address affixed on the outside, and the USPS delivered it to my place instead of the USDA! (I had to them send it to the USDA station, who then mailed it back to me after passing inspection). So, be ready for anomalies!

It's actually a very easy and successful process, especially when you are able to work with a specific agent at the USDA office and develop a working relationship with the same person.

Hope that helps!
Cheers,
Tristan

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfoc ... nformation