Two new plants from BIGFOOT COLLECTIONS

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Driller64

Two new plants from BIGFOOT COLLECTIONS

Post by Driller64 »

I received two plants in the mail today from BIGFOOT COLLECTIONS. I ordered them from his eBay store. Great quality plants and super fast shipping from this guy. Also great communication since we had a little mix up from me not waiting a week to pay due to second chance offers :/.

The two plants:

Epithelantha micromeris greggii
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (61.86 KiB) Viewed 1722 times

Ariocarpus retusus furfuraceus
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (76.1 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Highly recommended :D
Say no to drugs, say yes to cacti
Tribalflex

Re: Two new plants from BIGFOOT COLLECTIONS

Post by Tribalflex »

Those plants look great...good buy!! I have some ariocarpus bravanus seedlings im lookimg forward to seeing thrive.
dreadnot

Post by dreadnot »

I have a Epithelantha micromeris.
But mine turns yellowish, not as white as yours.
not sure what went wrong with mine.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

With some of the fine spined species capillary atraction will suck dirty water up from the soil surface so dirtying the spines. That is why some collectors use a good layer of grit as a top dressing over the soil to hopefully avoid this.

Of course not all Epithelantha's are pristine white spined anyway

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/EPITHE ... ispina.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... olycephala" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lot of New varieties and species were separated off from E. micromeris by Davide Donatti.
SoilSifter

Post by SoilSifter »

dreadnot wrote:I have a Epithelantha micromeris.
But mine turns yellowish, not as white as yours.
not sure what went wrong with mine.
Their spines seem to collect organic material or minerals from the soil mix or water when the spines become wet. The spines dry out but the stuff in the water is left behind and the spines become discolored. You can try keeping water off the spines and put it in a gritty soil mix. I once tried lightly bleaching the spines with 3% strength hydrogen peroxide. It worked a little bit.