Ariocarpus fissuratus flowering?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DuarteDave

Ariocarpus fissuratus flowering?

Post by DuarteDave »

This specie typically flowers in October however, it's been a couple years since it has.
Is there any fert I can use to maybe induce this?
It's in California Cactus Center soil (great soil) and has never seen fertilizer or food. I've had it for about 7 years now.
Thanks!
keith

Re: Ariocarpus fissuratus flowering?

Post by keith »

Maybe repot it ?
DuarteDave

Post by DuarteDave »

Yeah maybe.
I just gave it a hit of cactus juice. Lets see what that does.
Fairly recent repot.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I notice that the first break in the warmer nights sets the Ariocarpus to flower. We had a few nights in the low 60's and they started flowering. It also helps that it is Oct. I find that for me Ariocarpus don't enjoy repotting. I wait until the square pot is round. And only then do I repot in a pot just a little bigger. Most recover from repotting in one growing season. I have one that still isn't happy and it's on the second season.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

cactushobbyman wrote:I notice that the first break in the warmer nights sets the Ariocarpus to flower. We had a few nights in the low 60's and they started flowering. It also helps that it is Oct. I find that for me Ariocarpus don't enjoy repotting. I wait until the square pot is round. And only then do I repot in a pot just a little bigger. Most recover from repotting in one growing season. I have one that still isn't happy and it's on the second season.
I have one that's doing the same thing -- its first and only flower in November 2014, repotted to address a "dirty" mineral mix problem in February of last year. I've found that Ario fissuratus does take a long time to establish (or re-establish as the case may be) when it's repotted. Perhaps that's why mine didn't flower last November, so hopefully I'll see a bud starting to show later this month. Not sure if overnight temps have much to do with it, though.

Dave -- I know the California Cactus Center mix, and while it's okay, I wouldn't use it without adding a good dose of pumice to lean it out. No fertilizer over the long run isn't a good idea, so I'd highly recommend Dyna Gro. I've been fertilizing all of my cacti with 7-7-7 on a regular basis since 2012, and the results are excellent. You can only get it by the gallon, so if it's more than you're willing to pay for, you can go with the Dyna Gro 7-9-5 on eBay here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... 5&_sacat=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The NPK balance is good enough, plus the minor and micronutrients are a real plus. Dilute at half-strength (1/2 tsp. per gallon of water). I grow the vast majority of my cacti in soil-less pumice and granite gravel mix, so fertilizing every time I water is pretty much a requirement. For the amount of soil you have in your mix, my guess is that about once a month should be fine. If you don't have access to stored rainwater, acidify your tap water with 5% white vinegar. 2 tsp. per gallon should be safe, although depending on how hard your water is, it may not be enough to get the full benefit. If you want to really get into the "nitty gritty", here's a presentation you may find useful:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 72#p323572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Too late in the year to do much about it now, but if any of these recommendations sound good to you, you'll have something to implement when the new growing season begins.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)