At What temperature - - -????

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
thomas

At What temperature - - -????

Post by thomas »

Starting next week things are finally beginning to cool off. The daytime temps will be in the mid to upper 70's(F) and the nighttime temps will be dropping into the mid to upper 40's. At how low of a constant night time temperature should I start thinking about moving my collection indoors/winter storage area? Thanks
Steve Johnson

Re: At What temperature - - -????

Post by Steve Johnson »

thomas wrote:Starting next week things are finally beginning to cool off. The daytime temps will be in the mid to upper 70's(F) and the nighttime temps will be dropping into the mid to upper 40's. At how low of a constant night time temperature should I start thinking about moving my collection indoors/winter storage area? Thanks
Generally speaking, I believe that minimum overnight lows for growth should be in the low 50s. If your overnights are in the 40s already, your growing season may be over.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
thomas

Post by thomas »

Thanks for the reply Steve. It won't be until the middle of next week that the temps will be dropping but it has been in the mid 50's at night for the past 2 weeks. My Mamms seem to like it as I have two that are blooming and of course, the E. Domino is shooting up another flower stem. If I read you right, when the temps stay in the 40's I should stop watering and move them into their winter storage area - is that correct. Here in Yakima (reclaimed desert ) by mid September its nice during the day but you need a jacket or heavy sweater after sundown. The night time temps will fluctuate from low 50's to low 40's. This will be the first overwintering for my collection as I used to just have one or two and kept them in the windowsill.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

thomas wrote:If I read you right, when the temps stay in the 40's I should stop watering and move them into their winter storage area - is that correct.
Yes, although if your overnights fluctuate between the upper 40s and low 50s, that may be the time when you'll have cacti wanting to pop out a little more growth before they go dormant. You're way far north of us, so I wouldn't be surprised if your collection goes to sleep before the end of September.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I'm close to the same latitude, and I generally don't water after the first day of Autumn, Sep. 20 or so.
Spence :mrgreen:
thomas

Post by thomas »

thanks for the info. We are do for thunderstorms for the next 2 days with temps in the low to mid 70's. Will keep track of the night time low temps and maybe get in one or two more waterings before I stop and move them to the winter storage area.