Rocks on top of soil!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Samsquatch

Rocks on top of soil!

Post by Samsquatch »

When I water my cacti, I notice that the soil does not stay moist for very long, and I heard that it stays moist longer if you put rocks or pebbles on top of the soil. Does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of rocks to use? Would it negatively affect the plant if I just grabbed random rocks from my yard and used those?
- Nick
7george

Re: Rocks on top of soil!

Post by 7george »

My home atmosphere is very dry and I use rocks to retain moisture in the soil, also to make surface looking nice. My preference tends to quartzite and granite rocks but limestone works well enough too. Most times the mix I buy contain all types of rocks and if I get crank start to sort them out, like limestone to astros and turbinis and acids to south Americans but not sure if they like this or not... 8)
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I think grit top dressing over about quarter inch size grit is supposed to act the same. It acts as a condensation trap for the evaporating water, returning it back to the soil thus slowing down the pot drying out. Whether the size of rock makes much difference I do not know?

Our problem in the cooler UK though is getting the pots to dry out quickly enough, the reverse of your problem.
Samsquatch

Post by Samsquatch »

7george wrote:My home atmosphere is very dry and I use rocks to retain moisture in the soil, also to make surface looking nice. My preference tends to quartzite and granite rocks but limestone works well enough too. Most times the mix I buy contain all types of rocks and if I get crank start to sort them out, like limestone to astros and turbinis and acids to south Americans but not sure if they like this or not... 8)
Okay, I think I have a lot of granite, so I'll try that out. Thanks!
- Nick
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

I favour quartzite as top dressing because it changes hue if it's moist from below (don't know why exactly).
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
thomas

Post by thomas »

I usually use aquarium gravel. The lighter colored gravels seem to have mare quartz. Some people don't like top dressing but I find that it helps to distribute the water evenly around that pot as I water.
Attachments
gymnocalycium.JPG
gymnocalycium.JPG (110.23 KiB) Viewed 840 times
oldmancacdtus.JPG
oldmancacdtus.JPG (126.49 KiB) Viewed 840 times